A5 vendors

Yup! 65 inches is about what we've seen here. But last I heard the official total for Boston - measured at the airport - was 73.9 - #9 on the list of snowiest years since record keeping.

[ ISTR about 12,000 years ago that the snow pack in Boston was closer to 4,000 feet. I don't know what people are complaining about! ]

Pretty close - I'm in Winchester. We're just inside 128 so we typically miss the heavy stuff that goes north of the city. 8-)

This last storm really focused on Boston and the south shore. Weymouth and Marshfield hit the jackpot with over 2 feet.

Gotta go shovel. George

Reply to
George Neuner

Maybe snowballs - can't get to the faucet either. It's turned off anyway so it doesn't freeze.

Same here. When I was about 5 I used to crawl on hands and knees through tunnels in the middle of the yard and stand upright in caves carved into the piles at the street. One year, the piles were big enough that my sister and her friends had a tea party with (kiddie) table and chairs inside the snow bank.

When I was about 8, there was a storm in Rochester (NY) where we were trapped in the house - doors pinned by head high snow [my head] - and we had to climb out windows to shovel. My father took the lower pane out of a 2 piece storm door so I could climb through and shovel out an area in the back for the dog to go out ... the window because the door was frozen shut.

Another time, my grandmother came home from a trip to find her house was a snow pile. Her driveway had been [sort of] plowed because she had a service, but the walkways and doors were impassable and she couldn't open the garage door to get in [turned out it was frozen to the ground]. My mother and I went over to rescue her. We were about to leave when somebody remembered that one of 2nd floor windows didn't lock reliably. I climbed up a snow drift, got to the window and managed to open it. Once inside, I saw the ice on the floor holding the garage door and I kicked the door it until it opened.

In Buffalo, they used to hold auto races on Lake Erie. Once the ice was thick enough (usually mid-December but sometimes earlier), they'd bulldoze a track about 1/4 mile off shore, set up stands and concessions, and hold races every weekend until the ice got too thin.

Good old times! George

Reply to
George Neuner

Kitchen sink. Garden hose across the living room floor and out the front door! :>

Only "piles" we had were down by the road where the snow plow would couldn't push it more than a few feet into the yards. Snowblower (driveway, etc.) was usually able to throw it far enough that it just "raised the level" of the snow in the yards on either side of the driveway (cuz the snow from the edges of the driveway gets tossed farther away from the driveway than the snow from the *center*! Not all of it ends up in one big pile along the edge of the driveway).

Roof at rear of garage (extra deep garage) came to about ~5 ft above ground level. So, with any appreciable accumulation, you could just "step up" onto the roof. Of course, *slipping* off was frowned upon! Especially on the *front* side of the house (easily 10 ft to the pavement)

Snowmobiles were the favorite in our neck of the woods. Lots of small, interconnected lakes so you could go miles without ever getting on (or crossing *over*) a road (drive down the creek beds, etc.)

I'll rent the DVD... I *don't* miss the cold *toes* that winter play seemed to always bring!

Reply to
Don Y