18 bit LVDS panel to 24 bit LVDS card adapter

Hello,

First of all I'm new into the embedded world and to LVDS standard.

I have an LVDS display and a VIA EPIA NL5000EG board and would like to know if the two are compatible. I know I will need the LVDS card LVDS-07G for the main board, but it says it is for 18/24-bit LCD panel display selected by SKU. The display I have I is 6 bit interface which will make it 18 bits (is that correct?). Below are the two module models.

Would the 24-bit version of the LVDS-07G work with the 18bit display? Do I just leave the two MSB or LSB un-connected?

Below is the description of the LCD panel and ITX module.

TIANMA LVDS DISPLAY TM104SBH01 Size 10.4 inch Resolution 800(RGB) x 600 Interface LVDS 6 bits Color Depth 262K Technology Type a-Si Pixel Pitch (mm) 0.264x0.264 Pixel Configuration R.G.B. Vertical Stripe Display Mode TM with Normally White Surface Treatment(Up Polarizer) Anti-Glare(3H) Surface Treatment(TSP) Anti-glare type (3H) Viewing Direction 12 o?clock Display Spec. Gray Scale Inversion Direction 6 o?clock LCM (W x H x D) (mm) 236.00x176.90x7.3 Active Area(mm) 211.20x158.40 With /Without TSP With TSP Mechanical Characteristics Weight (g) 412

VIA Nano ITX EPIA NL5000EG Model Name VIA EPIA-NL5000EG Processor VIA Luke CoreFusion 500MHz Processor Chipset VIA VT8237R-Series South Bridge System Memory 1 DDR266/333/400 SO-DIMM Slot Up to 1GB memory size VGA Integrated S3 Graphics UniChrome? Pro AGP graphics with MPEG-2 Decoder/MPEG-4 Acceleration

Expansion Slots 1 Mini-PCI slot Onboard IDE 2 UltraDMA 133/100/66 Connectors (Secondary 2.0mm 44-pin header)

Onboard Serial ATA 1 SATA Connector Onboard LAN VIA VT6103L 10/100Mbps Base-T Ethernet PHY for broadband networking connectivity

Onboard Audio VIA Vinyl VT1617A Six-TRAC AC'97 Codec Onboard TV Out VIA VT1625M HDTV Encoder Onboard I/O Connectors 1 USB pin header for 8 additional USB 2.0 ports

1 pin header for COM Port, SIR and LPC 1 CIR pin header (Switchable for PS/2 KB/MS) 2 Fan connectors: CPU/Sys FAN 1 LVDS connector (an add-on card is required) 1 Nano-iTX power connector 1 Audio pin header for Line-out, Line-in, Mic-in, CD-in and S/PDIF out 1 TV Out pin header for S-Video, Composite, and Component (YPbPr/Scart/D-Terminal)

1 pin header for 10/100 Ethernet LAN support

1 pin header for CRT, VGA output, SMBUS, and CAP0 BIOS Award BIOS 4/8Mbit flash memory System Monitoring & Management CPU Temperature monitoring CPU voltage monitoring Wake-on-LAN, Keyboard-Power-on, Timer-Power-on, Watch Dog Timer, FAN Control

System power management AC power failure recovery Operating Temperature 0°C up to 47°C ?50°C (by different product items)

Operating Humidity 0% ~ 95% (relative humidity; non-condensing) Form Factor Nano-ITX (8 layers)

12 cm x 12 cm

drkidd22

[snip]

Wow, if ever there was a question best suited for the *vendor(s)*, this has to be one of 'em! Isn't that what salesmen are for?

Reply to
D Yuniskis

ow

ics with MPEG-2

mm 44-pin

broadband

rts

ring

(by different product

ondensing)

There are two mappings between RGB binary display data and LVDS bit lanes commonly used for 24 bit panels. In both there are 4 LVDS pairs used for data+syncs, one for clock. Each LVDS data pair has 7 bits time multiplexed per clock period. Most 18 bit panels use the same arrangement with 3 LVDS pairs for data+syncs.

In one mapping the last pair carries all the low order bits, so when hooking that interface to an 18 bit panel you omit that pair and everything works. In the other mapping the low order bits are scattered across all the lanes and the syncs are in different time slots, so you need to receive the data, drop the unimportant stuff, and reformat for 18 bits.

In my experience the mapping where you just omit pair 3 is more common, but it's usually not easy to figure out other than by hooking it up. Sometimes this is a BIOS setting, but you can get into a chicken and egg problem there.

Reply to
Andy