Datasheet 4116 memory chips; searching for Sinclair ZX Spectrum parts

Hello,

I'm suffering from the well known Blinking Coloured Blocks Problem (BCBP) on my 48K Sinclair ZX Spectrum. The 12V, 5V and -5V lines seem ok, 7805 regulator seems ok, ULA is 100% ok (put it in a different machine). Changed an electrolytic capacitor that had some slight damage.

Last one in the list (not looking forward to desolder these ones), are the 4116 16K base memory chips... But where to find replacements (peferrably in the Netherlands)? I also might want to change the transistors T4 and T5 (ZTX types), but I have not found these as well...

One electronics shop offered me as a replacement for the STC4116-2N memory chips: the MCM4116BP15, but I can't find any information / DATASHEET on both, so I have no idea if this replacement is ok? The only thing I can find in ZX Spectrum 48K service manuals is that the type should be 4116 and 150ns and I know 8 of these make up 16K with multiplexed switching of an address line to address the memory location...

Any help, pointers, datasheets and parts highly appreciated!

George

Reply to
georgedb

I used to replace 4116 with 6164, ofcourse after disconnecting extra power lines and fixing them to appropriate spot, like GND. Not really high on aestetics and authenticity points, but it worked...

Reply to
Brane2

I've hundreds of them ET 4116N-3 datecoded 1983 About 2 for 1 Euro plus p&p for about 20 off

n cook

You should be fine using 150nS chips (as you were offered by the shop) instead of 200nS chips (the ones in your computer). Someone else responded to your message that he has 300nS chips in stock, I think those would be too slow.

--
Met vriendelijke groet,

Maarten Bakker.
Reply to
maarten

No :-)

That someone offered 4116-3 chips.

4116-2 = 120 nsec access time 4116-3 = 90 nsec 4116-4 = 70 nsec

(UMC 1986 Memory databook. I got suspicious.

300 nsec was the slowest part, back in 1979. It would be odd that someone would still be stamping them out in 1983 :-)

A word of warning: I recall some early Sinclairs to be a real menace to desolder. Holes that are tight enough to serve as sockets, even without solder :-)

--
met vriendelijke groet,
Gerard Bok

That's why god invented OLFA knife. Just press the knife vertically at the spot where pin enters the plastic housing and just a bit along the edge of plastic and cut it off.

After cutting all the pins just heat them and pull them off one by one...

Reply to
Brane2

Also 14 pages of data for the Mostek 1980 version of 4116

n cook

Okay, weer wat geleerd... I was thinking of the codes on later DRAM chips, not knowing they used another system on these.

A possible trick would be to cut off the legs of the old IC's, then unsolder them one-by-one.

--
Met vriendelijke groet,

Maarten Bakker.
Reply to
maarten

Hello,

So, these "ET 4116N-3 datecoded 1983" memory chips should be fine? So, if the number of nanoseconds is LOWER, it is never a problem; if it's higher then it is a problem??? Most important thing for me to know is, if these chips from N. Cook / Diverse Devices will work...

I don't know exactly what is expressed in this timing/frequency... I thouht it had something to do with refresh rate, but then a refresh needed every 150ns sounds better than refreshing every 90ns...

Maybe someone has an old datasheet, I'll search for the 2118 to see what it is.

Any pointers to the ZTX213, 313 and 650 transistors?

Kind regards,

George

snipped-for-privacy@panic.xx.tudelft.nl schreef:

Reply to
GdB

Hi,

Brane2 wrote:

To speed up difficult repairs you can also let the pins that are cut off in the pcb if there's enough space, sometimes better to prevent heating damage when clearing the empty holes. This method used a few times when replacing (TXT) chips on the digital signal processing module of D16 chassis television sets (repeatedly flashing wrong (txt) picture will mostly be the symptom then).

succes, greetings Bart

PS: if availability is a problem i have the chips possibly also, but not nearby (except the same type is used on an IBM 286 6Mhz AT system board.........., around 32 chip positions with 2 paralelled chips per position for increased fan-out.......)

Reply to
Bart Jorritsma

Well they're all in original storage tubes, just old stock, stored indoors. Geometries those days not so prone to cosmic ray damage over time.

n cook

Usually refresh rates are in the ms range (and are not stamped on the chip), access times are in the ns range.

Eric

Reply to
Eric Rullens

When I googled "ztx650" the first hit was the pdf datasheet! When I googled "ztx213 pdf" I got a link to the Sinclair spectrum service manual, I think the ztx213 etc are fairly commonplace specifications say around 0.3A 45 or so volts and hfe about 2 or 3 hundred.

Reply to
ian field

= BC213, universal PNP, replaceable by BC557

= BSV26, low power switching NPN, replaceable by BSX20 or 2N2369

lo-sat 60V 2A NPN, replaceable by 2SC3328, 2SD1207 or 2SD1835

--
Met vriendelijke groet,

Maarten Bakker.
Reply to
maarten

Groeten, - DizTRacT -

Ik wil niet genieten, ook niet met mate :-)

Voor antwoord per e-mail, eerst ".DitNieT" uit het adres verwijderen !

Reply to
DizTRacT

No, the 4116 is NOT a static memory. It's dynamic.

It's the access time. 90 ns is better than 150 ns.

The refresh time is one complete refresh every 2 ms, regardless of the access time.

Reply to
Eric Smith

On 21 Jun 2006 00:57:17 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@inter.nl.net put finger to keyboard and composed:

A colleague once showed me a clever trick. You can sometimes identify the faulty DRAM without desoldering it by piggybacking a known good DRAM on top of it. Despite my skepticism the technique worked.

- Franc Zabkar

Franc Zabkar

On 21 Jun 2006 01:13:16 -0700, "Brane2" put finger to keyboard and composed:

Don't you mean 4164? The 6164 is an 8Kx8 SRAM whereas the 4116 is

16Kx1.

- Franc Zabkar

Franc Zabkar

That works. Also, sometimes you can find the faulty chip by sticking your finger on each DRAM in turn and seeing if any are noticably hotter than the others.

MikeW

Reply to
Mike Wynne

True. My bad. I meant 4164. It would be kinda hard to squeeze 6164 as a pin compatible replacement without a hacksaw and some heavy magic ;o)

Reply to
Brane2