Zero Ohms = Mathematically Incorrect

** Strewth, if we just add

e = mc squared

the mysteries of the *entire* universe are done like a dinner.

....... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

For any value of E greater than zero...
Reply to
John Fields

For any value of E *other than* zero.

Reply to
DJ Delorie

"John Fields Autistic "

** Well, speak of the Devil .......

........ Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

--
For any value of E less than zero, the curent would go to negative
infinity. :-)

--
"I\'m an excellent driver."
Reply to

Which is, of course, not a problem.

As has been mentioned, there ARE such things as superconductors. If we grant that the resistance of such things IS exactly zero, all this means per Ohm's Law is that the potential drop (E) across the conductor is also zero. I = 0/0 is not a mathematical problem, it simply tells us that the current in such a case will be limited by other factors, including (and perhaps especially) the resistance outside the superconductor itself. We should also note that a zero-resistance conducting path is NOT a zero-impedance path; it is, even in theory, impossible to create a zero-impedance path of non-zero physical length.

Bob M.

Reply to
Bob Myers

--
Of course. :-)
Reply to

There is no puzzle. No voltage source exists that has zero internal resistance. So you can't place a voltage source across zero resistance and get infinite current. The current would be = V / Vinternal resistance.

Any current flowing through zero resistance produces zero voltage drop V=I*R, so ohms law holds up just fine.

Superconductors have zero resistance, they do certainly exist:

Dave :)

Reply to
David L. Jones

Wrong math, what was the voltage that you measured on this cirquit? And the source that you applied it from? Back to school and listen to calculus lessons! This is not "Star Trek next generation".

Have fun

Stanislaw Slack user from Ulladulla.

Reply to
Stanislaw Flatto

Quit that annoying tapping and google "superconductor." Current has been experimentally circulated in superconductive rings for years with no indication of losses.

John

No, 0/0 is indeterminate. All that means is that, in a superconductive circuit, you can't make a voltage measurement that tells you anything about the current that's flowing. But the current is whatever it is, and can be measured by other means, like magnetically for instance.

John

But we do, as far as anyone has ever been able to measure.

John

The simplest answer is that Ohm's Law is not a law at all. It's never true, and it's often wildly off.

John

On Thu, 17 Aug 2006 16:54:29 -0700, in message , John Larkin scribed:

You missed this bit: "Well, let's keep it simple." Since I don't have an absolute-zero chamber in my workshop, I thought I'd leave superconductors out of the picture. Zat okay?

Reply to
Alan B

On Thu, 17 Aug 2006 17:31:48 -0700, in message , John Larkin scribed:

Would you care to explain why that is the simplest answer?

Reply to
Alan B

Sure, but it avoids addressing the "math problem", which actually doesn't exist.

John

Because it makes the division meaningless hence harmless.

John

On Thu, 17 Aug 2006 20:56:18 -0700, in message , John Larkin scribed:

It? What is *it*? Ohm's Law? Are you referring to division by zero resistance in the equation I = V/R? If so, how does Ohms Law make this division meaningless? Are you always so obtuse?

Reply to
Alan B

On Thu, 17 Aug 2006 20:54:27 -0700, in message , John Larkin scribed:

Pretty soon you're likely to say something specific, but I'm not holding my breath.

Reply to
Alan B