Wi-Fi health risk?

For aesthetic reasons I had to moved my wi-fi access point in my living room to a location under my desk. I'm a bit worried about the RF emissions since I spend most of the day at the desk, just 12" away from the AP. I know that it is non-ionizing radiation and many people would say it is completely safe, but I'm one of those paranoid people who still worries about this stuff and don't want to find out in 20 years that I toasted my "boys".

Looking for some reassurance, or otherwise, in regards to this.

Thanks

Reply to
Jack B. Pollack

Many people say, it's safe, due to missing evidence of the contrary. There are no reliable reports of any health damage by WiFi and Bluetooth..

A few say, everything un-natural should be avoided. This is called "prudent avoidance" and costs many billions every year. The benefits are unclear, but people feel more safe, that alone is the benefit.

So if you are a health freak put it away. Use network cables which radiate less and have higher transfer speed.

w.

Reply to
Helmut Wabnig

You've already made your decision. You've ranked "aesthetics" higher than anything else. If you're worried about health, then move it, but then the living room won't be neat and tidy.

Leave it where it was, but put it behind a screen. That seems to be the traditional way to "hide all that ugly tv and stereo stuff in the living room". Or give up wifi, just use an ethernet connection.

Michael

Reply to
Michael Black

Wear an aluminum foil hat and cover the "boys" with lead foil. Seriously, just for kicks, get a broadband field strength meter and see what you are living with every day.

Reply to
Tom Biasi

A cellphone emits multiple times (say 50x or so) the power of an access point. Most people keeping their cellphone in a pocket should be sterile then.

Reply to
asdf

At that frequency the energy won't 'penetrate' into the flesh very far. Skin depth [no pun intended] is on the order of slightly more than 1/16 inch. The energy gets absorbed converting into heat. Same frequency as your microwave oven, so most effect is will be on your eyeballs, not your... The energy levels are so low that the body takes care of the heat. Body won't even notice that small bit of heat compared to what it's like having part of your body sitting in the sun.

Recent study released circa March 2013, carried out by Norwegian Public Health: haveto go to there website and look around for a download.

Amazingly there are far worse concerns over respiratory problems [something like 20% deaths now attributed to some kind of respiratory dysfunction] and contaminated food supply [like really filthy food causing hepatitis where you don't expect it].

Reply to
RobertMacy

Apparently you can get silver threaded underpants - silver is antibacterial and prevents odour.

You'd also have the added advantage of keeping your family jewels in a Faraday cage.

Reply to
Ian Field

There's some other balls somewhere round the right size - and also one of the intestines.

Reply to
Ian Field

My "boys" have been on their own for several years now Ian.

Reply to
Tom Biasi

My "boys" enjoyed the "sports conversion" clear back in 1974 ;-) ...Jim Thompson