Where can I find a computer like this?

Hi:

I'm looking for a laptop that:

  1. Does not have any non-volatile RAM
  2. Does not need any non-volatile RAM to run properly
  3. Compromises among the following:
3a. Is the least expensive 3b. Has the most volatile RAM [with the least duration of data remanence after the laptop is offed] 3c. Is compatible with the wireless adapter with the strongest transmitter and most sensitive receiver [in which the MAC address of the wi-fi adapter can be changed]

Where can I find this laptop and wi-fi adapter?

What OS would be compatible with the above laptop and wi-fi adapter?

In addition, I also want to be able to change the 802.11 nickname. Here is more info about the 802.11 nickname:

Quote from

:

"The 802.11 Nickname field is a little-known feature of the wireless spec that sends your hostname to the AP. This is obviously bad."

I plan to boot from a CD, not an HDD.

The reason I want this is because I really care about my privacy and security.

What is my best bet?

Thanks,

Green Xenon

Green Xenon

I don't think such a thing exists any more -- all modern laptops have some flash ROM or battery-backed RAM to store their boot configuration. (The BIOS itself is also nearly always flash ROM these days.)

The above sounds obvious naive.

---Joel

Reply to
Joel Koltner

GO AWAY.

Reply to
Bart!

BIOS

Why don't they use mask-programmed ROM for the ROM and Twin-Transistor RAM for the RAM?

That would make the PC more secure?

spec

Why?

Green Xenon

The allure of being able to update the BIOS to fix bugs and add new features (including adding support for new CPUs -- when Intel or AMD release a new CPU, even if at the mechanical and electrical level they're 100% compatible wth a given motherboard, they need a "microcode update" sent from the BIOS that patches around any hardware problems within the CPU itself and configures some bits of it) is just too much.

Plus I suspect that these days masked ROMs might actually cost more, given how important time-to-market is with motherboards and the relatively low volumes. (I.e., a manufacturer can use the same flash ROM on many different motherboards, but each masked ROM is likely specific to each motherboard model.)

Marginally so I suppose.

Because in order to communicate your WiFi card has to be transmitting a unique means of identifying itself anyway, so whether or not you transmit a 'nickname' his little to do with how secure the connection is or isn't.

---Joel

Reply to
Joel Koltner

--
Greed is the root of all eBay.
Reply to

How the f*ck would you know?

Dumbfucktard remarks like "obviously bad".

Reply to
StickThatInYourPipeAndSmokeIt

cos it costs too much and can't be modified, like everyone on this planet wants to do.... who cares how the ram is made ???

cos it does and you obviously have no idea.... :(

Reply to
TTman
[...]

Look for a computer with some of these devices:

JW

Did you have to look that up to get the entire name?

Reply to
Capt. Cave Man

What IS the technical name of your condition, Green Xenon?

I asked nicely.

Reply to
Greegor

No problem.

ry

But it would also piss off my enemy and thus decrease my anger.

,

If I could control my mind, I would. Problem is, I can't. I'm getting therapy but still trying to change my thoughts/personality is like trying to run through a brick wall.

Reply to
GreenXenon

That would, however, actually work.

Reply to
life imitates life

GreenXenon wibbled on Monday 01 March 2010 19:35

Working in a university would probably suit you.

Wear shorts in winter if you want ;->

--
Tim Watts

Tim Watts

If what you're talking about is really not criminal then why are you after security that puts you beyond a court subpoena?

Or have defined your own idea of what is or isn't criminal?

Reply to
Greegor

I just want to be as secure as possible while writing in chat rooms. I don't want someone with hacking skills to track me down and mark me for lynching.

Reply to
GreenXenon

Your assessments are as pathetic as you are, idiot. Your unqualified, unsolicited, unprofessional, incredulous assessments are just that, you stupid, stinking, sub-human, UNAmerican BASTARD!

Reply to
StickThatInYourPipeAndSmokeIt

You are one sad fucktard to tell some other poster some lame lie about me, then come in here, acting like you are extending a hand of assistance.

Yeah... it is ASS IS Stance already. Expect that you do not need a stance for the world to know that you are an ass. And no, I do not need your pathetic version of "help".

Reply to
StickThatInYourPipeAndSmokeIt

I wish the fish in the Red Sea here would take the bait like the bad- mouth jaws in this pool...

Pheww!!!

Reply to
TerryKing

You mean like some of these idiots are threatening to do to others?

Yeah, the retards out there in netville talk a real good one.

This E-GREEGious dipshit is one prime example.

Reply to
Corbomite Carrie