Why does my server's redundant supply only have 12V?

Why are you running it on the old one? Newer machines can do it faster.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

The better question for an asshole like you is "Why is my peabrain so redundant? Am I just another buck-toothed limey? LOL

Reply to
Colonel Edmund J. Burke

Is this what you are after?

Processor: 2 GenuineIntel Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU T7700 @ 2.40GHz [x86 Family 6 Model 15 Stepping 11]

I don't know - but I suspect that it DOES 'waste' computing power.

Reply to
David_B

Speed is not of the essence - I like to keep my 'best' computer for day to day computing! ;-)

Reply to
David_B

Wow, that's old. 65nm die. They're now down to about 8nm.

I'm surprised it runs Rosetta so quickly though, it thoroughly beats my Q8400 which is the next level up, although mine is a 4 core so it does twice as many things although at half the speed. I have noticed some projects run better on some CPUs and some better on others - I guess they keep changing the instruction sets and altering what they're best at. Graphics cards are even worse - I deliberately bought some that are several years old, because they're really fast at high precision calculations, which they've all but removed from the newer ones. But it's what the Milkyway project needs. But not what games need, which is what most are marketed at.

I only put it on if I want to see what it's doing.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

It is when they have 11 million of those tasks queued. There are 34,000 people currently running the project, which will get through the queue in a week, but they keep adding to the queue....

Apparently since the Corona virus appeared, they've quadrupled the number of people running it. They've been around for ages doing biology research into cancers etc.

And you can. Rosetta doesn't slow things down, except for some games that need the computer's full attention. It normally gets out of the way of day to day stuff automatically, the program is set to "low priority" in the operating system. I let all mine process science 24/7. The one I use has a couple of "exceptions" in Boinc to pause computation if two specific programs are running (both games). You can even tell it to pause computation whenever you use it (i.e. as soon as it detects you moving the mouse or pressing a key).

Reply to
Commander Kinsey