why are hard drive platters reflective?

The head doing the reading doesn't care if the platters of a hard drive are reflective, so why are they? I assume it's just a consequence of the way they're made, but how, exactly, is it a consequence?

Reply to
yawnmoth

They have to be polished to reduce air turbulence, and maintain a very critical flying height over the surface. How would you do this and have a non reflective surface?

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Well, that took the fun out of the question! Wouldn't it be more entertaining getting into wavelength and electron orbital?

Did you ever see one explanation for why glass is transparent? The answer boiled down to, "there is no reason it shouldn't be". Huh?

:-)

Reply to
Lord Garth

But you can fly heads on a glass disk which is transparent.

The disk surface is nickel, cobalt and chromium.

Reply to
craigm

Have you ever seen magnetic glass?

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

I'm tired of beating around the bush, so I tuned up the bush hog. Looks like poor little Ferdie was in the way when I fired it up on SED! ;-)

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Glass disks are used for fly height analysis.

Reply to
craigm

because they are very flat, and the coating is very thin.

Bye. Jasen

Reply to
Jasen Betts

Glass disks are metalized to make them magnetic and used in new, high RPM hard drives.

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

My point was the reflective nature of disks is due to the surface materials, not the flatness.

Reply to
craigm

Proof?

prove it.