Which voltage regulator would be best for this?

I have a lot of inspection tools that use 1.55 volt button batteries. If the voltage from the battery drops below 1.45 volts or so the displays will start flashing. I use the silver oxide batteries, the SR44 button ones. I only buy the name brand batteries because they last the longest. I have tried on a couple tools using a 1.5 volt AA battery but the damn scales are voltage sensitive so when the AA battery voltage drops past the 1.45 volt limit, which happens pretty fast, maybe 3 months, the display starts that flashing business. So I was hoping that maybe a 3 . something volt battery and a voltage regulator could be used to lengthen the battery change interval. For the tools that can have a double A battery strapped on the back I think the reg used wouldn't matter much. But most of the tools only have room for a button battery so I would need a tiny efficient voltage regulator. Is there such a beast? Thanks, Eric

Reply to
etpm

Check the SMD versions??

Reply to
Rheilly Phoull

I was wondering if a linear would be best or should I be looking at a switching type? And can I find a switching type on a chip that uses a tiny external inductor? Eric

Reply to
etpm

Yes, lots of 'em...

Easiest to design and wire: LDO linear regulators, like Most power-efficient: switching types.

But, you won't likely be fitting these inside an existing button-battery compartment, because they all need connection to BOTH terminals of their battery, and must connect to both terminals of the target device. So, your best bet is to mount a power cord on the target device, and use any old large batteries and regulators that may be handy.

Reply to
whit3rd

Perhaps a Joule thief ?

Reply to