Voltage regulator recommendation

I'm about to start on a project utilizing batterys as a power source (not an area where i have done much work). I'm looking for suggestions for the supply voltage regulator IC. with a 5v. output at less than 100mA. I expect input voltage to be between 6.5 and 9 depending on the requirements of the P.S.chip. Efficiency matters There are a lot of ICs out there, has anyone got a product suggestion Thanks, Jim

Reply to
Jim Whiting

Go to

to select a suitable part (and design) for your application.

Note that your supply must stay in regulation as battery voltage drops with use. How much that might be depends on the batteries. Alkaline cells will drop to about 0.9 volts per cell -- which means a nominally

9 volt supply would be 5.4 volts at end of life. Other battery chemistries will droop less. If you go with a supply that will droop below the desired output voltage, then you'll have to go with a boost-buck or SEPIC configuration which is more complex and not as easy to design. A simple buck regulator is very easy to design.
Reply to
Don Foreman