Which material has the highest breakdown-voltage?

Hello John,

I also had a time delay to allow filaments and other stuff to come up. This was usually the only transistorized part in the whole amp. But, I have to admit that I had often grossly exceeded the plate current abs max limit. This was in the college days when the $20 for a couple more tubes were an insurmountable hurdle. Or let's say a priority hurdle because $20 also bought you two crates of Grolsch :-)))

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com
Reply to
Joerg

Yeah, I used to pay $7 for a CK722 whan you could get a steak and a baked potato at the Buck Forty Nine restautant for, as I recall, $1.49. And a Chinese lunch with coffee or tea and ice cream for dessert was 85 cents. Hell, 1/4 watt carbon resistors cost 12 cents each, and my allowance was $2 a week. Thank goodness for scrap TV sets.

During my college days, at Houlihan's on Bourbon street, oysters were

10 cents each, and draft beer was a quarter, and the cheapest tunnel diode was about $3.50 (no, not at Houlihan's!) Now a single oyster can buy a hundred opamps.

John

Yeah. AFAIK a non-issue under normal circumstances, but some less absormal circuits and tubes can actually have appreciable wear.

Tim

--
Deep Fryer: a very philosophical monk.
Tim Williams

Hello John,

Oh yeah, I carted lots of TV sets home on my bicycle. In Europe we could not buy the CK722. We had the old AC127 and for RF stuff the expensive AF116. So I used triodes from TV tuners which were much better and free.

And it's probably not even as good as they used to be (the oyster). As a kid none of the shops ever had tunnel diodes. To us they remained boutique parts, mentioned in many electronics recipes but unobtanium for anyone without a fat defense budget.

Today kids could get some miracle parts for a song but most aren't interested. Beer for the grown-ups is another matter. A growler of fresh brew is now up to $10 out here. Ouch. Maybe time to start brewing our own again.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com
Reply to
Joerg

I was going to ask about this before I read the above.

air...20 kV/inch

20 V/mil 0.8 V/um 0.08 V for 0.1 micron die features

So I guess you're right about thin films.

--

Reply in group, but if emailing add another
zero, and remove the last word.

Hello Tom,

That depends on which air. In many large US cities it seems people trust air only when they can see it ;-)