Where to purchase portable cellular jamming devices - (no legal opinions please)

. ..

People (other than you?) are averse to going to jail. What are you? 13 years old?

Reply to
JeffM

(-PLEASE- No lectures or legal suppositions needed or desired)

Anyone know where to purchase a cellular phone jammer, preferably stateside. There are vendors off shore, but none here in CONUS that I know of. Please post here any US vendors that sell cellular jammers. (Extra points for relating your experience with using one.)

Reply to
Kathleen Carmody

oh how GREAT these would be on my 2 hour bus commute (one way) to and from NYC everyday! i can talk on my cell in a way that the person next to me isnt' disturbed... why is it i have to listen to the loud mouth 10 rows back talking about "YEAH REALLY.. I TOLD HER HOW TO GET RID OF THAT YEAST INFECTION!"

cell jammer.. i'd rather have a device that causes the phone to emit an unpleasant electric shock.. like those anti-barking collars for dogs!

Keith in NJ

yes indeed: google search for "copper mesh".

simply surround the area you wish to sheild in the copper mesh screening (solid copper will work too but its harder to breathe through)

Reply to
TimPerry

wrote in

screening

I've worked in a Faraday cage, so I know what you're saying is true. But what I can't figure out is why the elevator at work, which has four stainless steel walls, fails to stop my cell phone from working. Works great, other than the elevator ride is too short. ;-)

Now here's something different. I work in the room with a half dozen old PBXes for our phone system, each having a lotta old TTL circuitry on big boards in a card cage. When I get near them, I can't get any signal thru to the cell phone. Works great when I don't wanna be bugged by the boss. ;-)

Reply to
Watson A.Name - "Watt Sun, th

The reason there are no stateside vendors for such is because such devices are illegal under FCC regs. Any seller of such who tried to advertise them would get shut down so fast it wouldn't even be funny.

If you're going to buy one, you'll need to do so from an overseas vendor. Period.

Keep the peace(es).

kyrrin (a/t) bluefeathertech[d=o=t]calm -- www.bluefeathertech.com
with surreal ports?"
Reply to
Dr. Anton T. Squeegee

What's the floor and roof made of?.

Reply to
CWatters

I would guess the elevator is not a solid cage, but has many longish slots that allow the signals to get thru. A true faraday cage has lots of very small openings (compared to a wavelength of a signal that is being blocked).

The FCC legal department is believed to be preparing a special notice/ruling/whatever to warn folks against trying to do what you appear to be doing. Their legal department has already punished several vendors of jammers, although I haven't heard of any of the users of the jammers being jailed or fined, just warned that if they were caught again there would be severe punishment.

Buy ear plugs instead, it is safer and cheaper.

H. R.(Bob) Hofmann

Reply to
hrhofmann

Would you be willing to hear a legal certainty, then?

--
St. John, whose aversion to rude cell phone users is only exceeded by
his aversion to vigilantes

Kathleen Carmody wrote in news:Ma2dna19 snipped-for-privacy@skypoint.com:

you won't find a CONUS seller because those devices are NOT LEGAL for sale or use in the US.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

I realize you do not want legal advice. But, take the time to consider that anyone caught selling a device to jam any kind of communications that are considered esential services are fully liable.

In the US, Canada, UK, and many other countries around the world, anyone selling or using any device that causes the jamming of any public service or utility communicaitons will be full liable, and may have to serve for it.

Jerry G. ======

Reply to
Jerry G.

Don't listen to all these naysayers. They CAN be had. Try these links:

Personally I live for the day when we can simply decapitate these annoying and dangerous twits and their damn cell phones.

Reply to
none

wrote

true.

four

Well, the floor is another piece of metal so it can handle more than a ton of weight. But the ceiling, well, that's probably th reason it works. It probably has a hatch or may be made of some composite, and not metal.

Reply to
Watson A.Name - "Watt Sun, th

The bitch driving next to me at 75MPH on the phone and putting on makeup is not essential communication! We should start by ripping the Fu*&*NG phone out of their hands when you can and throwing it as hard as you can.

Hold on my cell phone is ringing, dammit some dick has jammed my phone! You can build your own CPJ with simple schematics available on the web, of course these are only for "experimental purposes" wink, wink!

Reply to
Jim Douglas

Cellphones are damhard to jam, because they look for an open channel you have to interfere with the entire 2.4G band, and some others.

You don't have to bother with old 900 Mhz band, I don't think anyone will provide service for them anymore.

Cheapest thing I could think of is a wireless camera. We have 2.4 Ghz phones and can't use this camera because it takes their range down to about two feet. Apparently the video uses so much bandwidth, the "best" channel they find is still laden with noise.

One wonders why you want to do this, I'm sure we all get the urge when somebody does something stoooooooopid on the freeway. I can also think of legitimate reasons for this, but only on private property. Doing it in public might result in you finding out more about those "legal suppositions" than you want. The FCC in the US is the most aggresive of that type of agency in the world by far, THEY HAVE A SWAT TEAM ! I am not kidding, they do, they are armed.

The political reasons for this are beyond the scope of this text, suffice it to say that information control is very critical for the government and big business, as such the FCC can use deadly force, and with the control, cover it up.

If you are interested in the political end of this, say so in a post here and I'll open up email with you, I don't want to stray too far off topic.

JURB

Reply to
ZZactly

Cellphones use the 2.4GHz band? I always thought it was 900Mhz and 1800MHz

--

Wing.
Reply to

And you would be basically correct. In the US, these are generally referred to as cellular (850Mhz) and PCS (1.9Ghz). The other standard cellular frequency that has opened up in some parts of the word is 450Mhz.

Some cordless phones operate at the unlicensed 2.4Ghz, among other unlicensed frequency ranges as well.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Shuman

Yeah - really! Nothing like confessing to a crime you're about to commit. Of course, it's been proven time and again, criminals are stupid. Jay Leno has covered a few articles on his show. Just the other day, got a news paper from out of state. On the front page, it spoke of a guy who went into a Pizza Shop - filled out an employment application, then wrote on back of it - it was a robbery. Left the paper there and ran. Didn't take long to find him......... DUMB - DUMB - DUMB.

L.

Reply to
L.

Because it is illegal. Duh!

If you want to do something blatantly illegal, you shouldn't be publicising your intent all over Usenet. If you don't understand that, stop right there.

One way to block cellular legally, wallpaper the area with aluminum foil and make sure all doors are solid metal and close &c &c &c. Jammers are so illegal, even the CIA can't *legally* use them in this country to help make areas secure. (That doesn't mean they don't, just that it isn't legal.)

Reply to
Kevin G. Rhoads

If the Faraday cage had perfect conductivity and were seamless, it would work pretty well. However, using REAL materials, the EM energy is only attenuated so many db, depending on the material. Additionally, every discontinuity such as a seam or change in material, sets up circulating currents which retransmit the field on the inside of the cage, with the attenuation depending on the thickness, the material, the length of the discontinuity, and a dozen other things...

In other words, it ain't gonna work in the real world like it works in the textbook.... A Faraday cage is a theoretical concept which works on paper, but cannot be produced in nature...... Besides, you would suffocate fairly quickly...

You can prove this by tuning a transistor radio to a local AM station, then wrapping it in aluminum foil..... Damn little effect , if any. Wrap it in several overlapping layers and try to make it seamless..... it still won't get rid of that damn rap music...

... that's why the elevator you mentioned doesn't give a million db of attenuation to the cell phone.

Andy (retired from Raytheon Electromagnetics Lab)

Regarding your second mention, about the TTL circuitry.... More than likely , there is enough electrical noise flying about at a level greater than the cell tower signal in your receiver, to keep the receiver from processing it. Hence, you will probably get a "no signal" indication on you little cell phone indicator. It probably doesn't work well around arc welders, either....

The basis of jammers is to prevent your receiver from processing the cell tower signal. It doesn't take much energy to do this, since we are talking about field strengths in the microvolt level.

Reply to
Andy