where to attach the ESD wrist stap's crocodile clip

Hello and happy new year in advance. :) I have a question here. where would be the suggested spot to attach the crocodile clip of an Electrostatic discharge (ESD) wrist strap. I was thinking about attaching the crocodile clip to the exposed metal of any electrical appliances such as my PC's power supply while its plug remained on the power receptacle. Would this be working?

Reply to
Buttered

ATX class computers are supposed to be unplugged when you work on them, because of the +5 VDC power supply. Find another ground, or make a cord using only the ground pin to plug into an outlet on your workbench. My workbenches all have metal outlet boxes and covers, so it's always easy to find a proper ground.

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

That will work, so long as your appliance is always plugged in. Better to get one of the proper ESD earth plug attachments that plug into the power point though, then you can connect your mat and wrist strap etc properly in a more permanent setup.

Dave.

Reply to
David L. Jones

In message , Michael A. Terrell writes

Switch the socket or PSU off (providing it has a physical switch on it, not too many do anymore)? Or does the US not have switched mains outlets?

--
Clint Sharp
Reply to

Rarely. You can use a switched outlet strip, but for a workbench I prefer a better grounding system. At my last job we ran #8 AWG bare, solid copper wire (.12949" Dia.), along rows of benches. We bonded them to the building's ground system, All joints were soldered, and tested monthly

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Soldering joints is not legal electrical codes. They must be clamped or use of a legal connecting device like wire nuts, busbar, terminals etc..

Yeah I know, piss off.

--
"I\'d rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy"

http://webpages.charter.net/jamie_5"
Reply to
Jamie

Thank you guys for helping. Really appreciate all the infos given. Have a great new year ahead.

Reply to
Buttered

In an emergency, if you are wearing natural fibre and leather shoes, its good enough to clip yourself to the *UNGROUNDED* computer (google equipotential bonding), just *dont* put any parts down anywhere other than on or inside the case once you have taken them out of their antistatic bags. OTOH if you are wearing a polyester shellsuit over nylon, even wrapping yourself in grounded tinfoil probably wont save your chips . . . (unless the men in white coats take you away before you get your computer open)

Well its not for electrical supply or safety ground so how does it come under the code? Its only for ESD protection ;-)

--
Ian Malcolm.   London, ENGLAND.  (NEWSGROUP REPLY PREFERRED)
[at]=@, [dash]=- & [dot]=. *Warning* HTML & >32K emails --> NUL:

That lobotomy removed any chance of clear thought on your part, Jamie. A plant wide ESD abatement system has absolutely NOTHING to do with the National Electrical Code. It was an entirely seperate system, with cluster of benches connected to the building's steel skeliton, and every support column was grounded.

As usual, you sopt nonsense, or ourrright lies to people who din't know any better.

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

No, sorry, you are very mistaken...

You sorry miss guided sole.

--
http://webpages.charter.net/jamie_5"
Reply to
Jamie

There you go spouting answers again without knowing anything about the topic.

ESD is not a topic of the NEC. It isn't there, because it doesn't belong there.

Don't bother posting a retort without an Article number of the NEC.

That should be "You sorry misguided sole," unless you were addressing Miss Guided, whom I do not know.

Reply to
Don Bowey

Only in thinking that there is any hope for you to ever admit to your vast, and unending ignorance.

Really? Which foot are you talking about? The right one is always swollen, from the diabetes, but it isn't really misguided.

You are definitely misguided, but I'm beginning to doubt that you have a soul.

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Because the PC might startup while you are working on it, the usual recommendation (this from Apple) is to make a dummy power cord that ONLY connects wallplug ground to the power socket, then clip your ground strap to any grounded chassis part.

What I always did, was to grasp the chassis with my left hand while I pulled the RAM stick out of the pouch with my right hand and installed it.

If it isn't a Macintosh, I understand that power-on is not something that could happen under time/clock control, you'd have to bump a switch. Is that still true?

Reply to
whit3rd

I don't see where your question was answered. The wrist strap protects two ways. First, best protection is to discharge your body. Charges exist between bottom of shoes and your body. Those charges must be discharged. That means an electrical circuit. Damage occurs because that discharge circuit is down arm and fingers, through electronics, down table, into floor, and connected to bottom of shoes. The wrist strap connects to something so that those charges are connected to bottom of shoes before touching electronics.

Remember, many of the items you consider non-electrical conductors are conductors to that static electric discharge current.

Second solution is to charge the electronics to same potential as your body. Therefore a wrist strap connected to electronics chassis equalizes voltages. Same is accomplished by touching the chassis before touching electronics. If the chassis is connected to floor and bottom of shoes, then while equalizing voltages, body is also dischargee. Second solution can also do both solutions better. Some will place a conductive plastic mat beneath the electronics connected to another mat on floor (beneath shoes). Then the wrist strap connected to table top conductive plastic makes a best wrist strap protection.

Point is that wrist strap must do one (or even better, both) of two solutions.

Reply to
w_tom

That is not true. Solder can be used:

From 2005 NEC 110.14 (B) "Conductors shall be spliced or joined with splicing devices identified for the use or by brazing, welding, or soldering with a fusible metal or alloy. Soldered splices shall first be spliced or joined so as to be mechanically and electrically secure without solder and then be soldered."

There are specific cases where solder is prohibited by the NEC, but except for those, it is is legal. Did you have the specific cases in mind?

Ed

Reply to
ehsjr

No. Not been true for some time, at least under BIOS control if not OS. Usually under the power management settings of the BIOS you can set an on-time on a lot of machines. Excellent fun if you know that the user has the PC in their bedroom.

--
Clint Sharp
Reply to