Cordless Anti Static Bracelet Electrostatic ESD Discharge Cable Band Wrist Strap (?)

I'm just a wee bit skeptical I think....

Technical Specifications:

Protect sensitive electronic components from ESD (electrostatic discharge)

Current limiting resistor IMOhm .5%, Electro-scattering time 0.1sec, Rinsing resisting

Inner conducting layer is made of stainless shell filaments Easily adjustable, includes extra strap

Anti-static Device Measures: 4 x 2.5 x 1cm (1.5 x 1 x .5") Strap Measures: 15cm (6")

boB K7IQ

Reply to
boB

Oh, this is quite brilliant! Right up there next to dehydrated water!

Jon

Reply to
Jon Elson

I hope to shout, as we used to say.

Some decades ago I did SMT rework for a TDR mfgr in PHX AZ. We went throu gh four or five different brands of corded ESD straps but kept blowing part s. The conductors were so flimsy they broke with the least bit of flexing, no matter the price range. It was weird; we knew other companies used them with no (announced) problems but couldn't seem to get them to work for us.

After watching a news story about gas pumps catching fire I suggested we quit screwing around with straps and instead install grounded stainless tou ch bars on all of the workstations. We stopped blowing parts.

I got a nice little bonus for that.

Mark L. Fergerson

Reply to
Alien8752

Given that the seller is apparently located in the USA, and supposing, as seems likely, that this device doesn't work, the prospect of the seller getting seriously sued seems quite high.

Sylvia.

Reply to
Sylvia Else

The places I have been use an anti-static floor coating. Everyone has conductive shoes or straps on their heels. Seems to work and no need for the clumsy wrist cables.

--

Rick C
Reply to

It could work, if it contained a huge lump of radium that would kill you.

This one is fun, it works but is dangerous to humans:

If you replace all of the humans with robots then you can use it.

Reply to
Chris Jones

I think there was an eevblog where Dave took one of these apart, and found (perhaps) a 1 meg resistor inside.. nothing else.

Testing if there is an placebo effect in ESD protection. :^)

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

Lasse Langwadt Christensen

datasheet says 0.2mm Al is sufficient shielding, so, a good sturdy tinfoil hat :)

Jasen Betts

et

ess

The company was just getting past the startup stage and didn't have (or m ore likely didn't want to spend) the capital to install conductive flooring to serve the less-than a dozen workstations. It also wanted to avoid any r isks associated with conductive shoes because we occasionally worked on liv e circuits powered by bench supplies. Remember, this was a few decades ago.

Mark L. Fergerson

Reply to
Alien8752

This is in a factory where the floor is poured concrete and they added a coating which looks like varnish. The electrical hazard is non-existent. The anti-static properties depend on moisture to conduct the charge through your stockings. Even if you went barefoot, there is no significant conduction through the shoes or flooring. It's not a metal coating. The conductivity barely exists. You can use anti-static flooring or coatings in just the area of the workbenches. It doesn't have to be the entire office. I saw this done some twenty years ago.

--

Rick C
Reply to