what to do with unused pins on MAX232/MAX233

Hi - I'm just wondering - I'm working on a board that uses a MAX233 (it's a MAX232 with internal caps). It has two RS-232 inputs and two RS-232 outputs. I'm only using one of each. What should I do with the ones that I'm not using? In the back of my head something is telling me I should ground the inputs (so RS-232 input input, and the RS-232 output input, if you follow my wording). Is that right? Thanks!

-Michael J. Noone

Reply to
Michael Noone

It's always a good rule of thumb to tie unused inputs. However, the MAX233 has built in pull-ups and -downs (400K up for TTL inputs and 5K to ground on the RS-232 side) so in this case you're covered.

--
Rich Webb   Norfolk, VA
Reply to