usb output

Anyone know how much voltage a Usb port outputs?

I am trying to recharge a mp3 player via the port, but it takes too long.

So how much would the player require, in terms of volts, amps etc.

Thanks

Steve

Reply to
steve

5 Volt. Maximum 500 mA.

Depends on the player.

Reply to
Ken

That's if the device can tell the USB port that it requires more than

100ma. Otherwise, consider the safe limit to be 100ma - or use a powered USB hub.

Players often use a Lithium-technology battery, which typically is 3.6 or 3.7 volts. Since improperly charged Li batteries can catch fire, charging via the USB connection may be limited for safety. Or the charge circuit may be designedto run from a 9 or 12 volt wall wart...

John

Reply to
news

Do all cellular phones run on that voltage?

Roger Dewhurst

-----------

Thanks to everyone.

I believe this is a cheap player because after charging for three hours, it played only a few minutes.

Then it says =91Low Power=92, and shuts down.

Steve

Reply to
steve

--=AD-----------

Sounds like it's battery is shot. How old is it? Rechargable batteries have a limited number of cycles.

Reply to
jamesgangnc

6
,

It is a cheap, no-name player.

I bought it due to the sound quality, which is very good.

The retailer says that its better to charge with a wall wart.

This wart now takes approx 40 minutes, after which the player says =91battery full=92.

Then it plays for about half an hour maximum, and shuts down.

Reply to
steve