two rays of different wavelength will generate the same electric current ?

Hi,

I have 2 different light rays which have different wavelengths (for instance one is red and the other is green).

I'm sending these rays to 2 photodiodes.

Is the electric current generated by those photodiodes the same? Are there any differences (power, intensity) ?

thanks, laura

Reply to
laura

It will depend on the electro-optic conversion efficiency of the photodiode for that particular wavelength. That is, if the photodiode is more efficient in the green wavelength then the electric current generated will be greater. Take a look at the photodiode curves supplied by the manufacture to determine the output current v.s. wavelength.

Reply to
Mr. Wizard

There should be a linear relationship between the frequency of light and the energy measured:

Measuring Planck's constant using Light Emitting Diodes (LEDs)

's.PDF#search=%22planck's%20constant%20diodes%22

Reply to
Krill

There is, but diodes don't actually measure energy when current is being generated.

Not so good a paper.

's.PDF#search=%22planck's%20constant%20diodes%22

A much better one there.

But did you read them? It isn't at all about the OP's question (which I think is just homework, anyway.)

Jon

Reply to
Jonathan Kirwan

Probably different. Each photodiode type has a response versus wavelength curve, probably on its datasheet.

John