TV Back-light Spark Gap?

Nope. However, it's possible that he can repair his LCD TV. I just assume that anyone in electronics knows which end of the soldering iron to grab, and how to use a #2 Phillips screwdriver. Tearing apart a 19" LCD TV is easy enough that even and IC designer can do it.

My reading is quite comprehensive.

Ok, so what did I miss, other than it's a Philips 19" TV and something quits after a few hours?

High voltage CCFL inverter arcs

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com

No, he just spends too much time on the repair newsgroup. :)

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

You patched the package, not the IC itself.

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

True. The problem is that there currently aren't many interesting repair related topics in the repair newsgroups. So, I thought I would come over to the design group, where the problems are created. If I can't be part of the solution, I might as well become part of the problem.

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com
Jeff Liebermann

Some time ago, to aid in diagnosing a prototype chip, we sent it out to have some wires swapped in the chip. Focused Ion Beam, cost a couple thousand bucks to have one chip rewired. The chip worked after that, so we knew what needed to be fixed in the layout.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Elson

I doubt many of the engineers here design consumer electronics.

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

That's a good portion of my work... cutting costs in _very_ high volume consumer goods... or things aimed at those consumers, like billboard electronics. ...Jim Thompson

Ever-self-important Jim Thompson, naturally, counts himself thousands of times over on a simple question. Sadly, he's not great at statistics...

FWIW, right now I'm working on industrial electronics. Not really consumer, much smaller quantities.

Statistically, I predict a power law: 10% of the engineers here account for

90% of the productivity of all engineers here, measured as total number of parts produced. Meanwhile, 10% of the engineers are connected to 90% of all products (by diversity, including myriad low quantity projects).

Some engineers will be well represented by large numbers of small projects, as well as a small number of very large projects; Jeorg and Hobbs are probably nicely representative of this subset.

Tim

--
Deep Friar: a very philosophical monk.
Tim Williams

Yep. Much of that has been exported to China. Kinda depressing.

Here's the list of American TV manufacturers:

# 831-336-2558
# http://802.11junk.com               jeffl@cruzio.com
# http://www.LearnByDestroying.com               AE6KS
Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

I doubt if I'll be buying any more new TVs I have about six working TVs at the moment, and gave away another half dozen a couple years ago. I also have TV tuner cards for several computers.

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

That used to be common in the communist and probably still is in 3rd world countries where tariffs and other barriers are high- a manufacturer would ship CKD or SKD 'kits' to the target market and the final assembly would take place. Of course the cost was higher, the quality usually also much lower than the originals, but there were some jobs for locals created.

This looks like pretty much the same thing- it definitely does not meet the standard for "Made" in USA. But they can print big flags on the boxes.

"The components will still be made in China for now, with the hope that in time they too will be made in America." I'd be willing to bet that "components" include fully populated and tested PCBs, wire harnesses and such like. It's a bit sad.

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Spehro Pefhany

I have freinds who custom manufacture canopies for art shows. They can get all but one component made in the US. The heavy vinyl they use hasn't been made in the US for over a decade. They are constantly looking for a US source, with no luck. All of the assembly, from raw aluminum to finished product is US made, otherwise. Because of that, they can't claim to be a US made product.

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

AIUI removing the steering wheel is enough for a car to be imported to Australia as "parts"

Now that there's a market for those components there's atleast a posibility that someone can manufacture some components locally.

--
?? 100% natural

Jasen Betts

It must be scary to drive there, with some fraction of the motorists driving around without steering wheels.

Precision electronic instrumentation
Custom timing and laser controllers
Photonics and fiberoptic TTL data links

Only on starting.

Once struck, the voltage drops (a few hundred), and the PSU goes into constant current mode.

                                       (Richard Feynman)
Reply to
Fred Abse

Nah! They just import the steering wheel as a separate consignment, this time, quite correctly as "parts".

                                       (Richard Feynman)
Reply to
Fred Abse

It must be scary to drive there, with some fraction of the motorists driving around without steering wheels.

***They fit those tiny racing steering wheels - so the escaped convicts can drive with handcuffs on.
Reply to
Ian Field

Update: While on a phone call I noted that the muted TV has no pop, and the screen never did "blink", so the popping noise must have another cause. ...Jim Thompson

Well you're a semi engineer, must be shot noise ! ;)

Jamie

Reply to
Jamie

Welcome to the wonderful world of consumer electronics troubleshooting. Could you disclose the Philips model number? You'll get to earn your new 55" flat screen TV by first playing detective.

Find a portable AM radio. Tune it to a blank place on the AM dial so that you hear only hiss or maybe a really weak station. Put it near the TV. Do you also hear a popping noise on the AM radio? If so, it's probably coming from internal arcing somewhere inside the TV. If not, it's something else.

Duz the popping sound happen on all channels or only one channel? Is the TV setup for OTA (over the air) TV, or are you using a cable, satellite, or screaming media box? If you're using a box, turn it off and see if the popping sounds go away. It might be coming from a converter, not from the TV. If you're getting your audio from a converter box, try running the audio output to something else, like a hi-fi or headphone to determine its origin.

Duz the TV have different input modes, such as composite video, HDMI, DVI, component video, VGA, or S-video? Try some of these modes and see the popping sounds are in all the modes or just some of them.

The basic idea is to isolate sections of the TV and attached components. Then, to replace or bypass sections until the culprit can be determined.