Tube Headphone Amp Schematic Needed

I want to build a headphone amp to connect to my laptop's audio output, and thought a tube based one would be a nice change from all the IC driven ones I've built in the past. I would prefer a simple one with low cost components, and low voltage operation, if possible, and no more than 3 tubes. Any tube type will do.

Thanks Dave Australia

Reply to
Dave.H

OH WHY ?

Why would you want to degrade the sound so faithfully preserved today through ultra-accurate high bit density recordings at the final listening stage.

Why not just listen on some ex-army headphones ? It'll do the same thing.

Graham

Reply to
Eeyore

--
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=tube+headphone+amp

JF
Reply to
John Fields

As good a way as any to get a crap sound.

Graham

Reply to
Eeyore

Clearly you need to spend more time with true audiophiles. Of course tubes sound better -- they're weirder! Everything will sound even better yet if the whole kit and caboodle is dipped in LN2.

--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services

Tim Wescott

I like your sense of humour !

Graham

Reply to
Eeyore

Er, "tubes", "low cost components" and "low voltage operation" are mutually exclusive.

Reply to
Stephen J. Rush

Try to get hold of some nuvistors. Googling for nuvistor produced a nice hit of explanations and designs. Oh, and start saving up some money, they are expensive. ;)

Reply to
Sjouke Burry

Nuvistors are vhf/uhf tubes, originally used in TV tuners. None of them would handle enough power to drive headphones, which was the OP's application. There were low-voltage audio power tubes designed for pre- transistor portable radios, but "low-voltage" meant 45 or 90 volts on the plate, and those tubes are collector's items now.

Reply to
Stephen J. Rush

-
45 to 90 volts is OK by me. It's voltages higher than 200 volts which I didn't want to use

Dave Australia

Reply to
Dave.H

John Fields wrote: > On Sat, 2 Aug 2008 08:21:25 -0700 (PDT), "Dave.H" > wrote: >

I looked at your link and thought, how about an amp for electrostatic phones? I found the Gilmore amp indirectly because of you. Thanks

G=B2

Reply to
stratus46

I have to admit that I'd like to build some tube amps. But it comes from my admiration for obsolete technologies (obsidian knives, anyone?), not because I think (or care) if it'll sound better.

--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services

Tim Wescott

ning

ing.

.

I love the old tube equipment, radios, amplifiers, etc. I don't care for best sound quality either.

Dave Australia

Reply to
Dave.H

Dave, you might be interested in AudioXpress magazine

It's mostly a print magazine, with a few on-line articles, and I don't know about availability in Australia. However, it has plenty of tube projects, along with speaker design and other audiophile stuff. Many of the projects use expensive parts, but there are a fair number of cheap-and-simple projects. I don't recall (off the top of my head) about simple *low voltage* tube headphone amps, but there have certainly been simple tube headphone amps in the last few years.

Best regards,

Bob Masta DAQARTA v4.00 Data AcQuisition And Real-Time Analysis

Scope, Spectrum, Spectrogram, Sound Level Meter FREE Signal Generator Science with your sound card!

Reply to
Bob Masta

If you define "low voltage" as "a lot lower than what an 807 wants" then there are plenty of projects.

If you define "low voltage" as "won't kill me" then there are a few, but sound quality and power output will suffer a lot.

If you define "low voltage" as "runs off of a 12V rail" then there really aren't any at all.

A 6V6 or 6AQ5 wants around 250V and will function down to 100V or so at reduced output, should power headphones nicely (I dunno, I haven't done it, but it's like one of the World's Most Popular Tubes), and 250V won't kill you instantly if you do something stupid.

250V will make your heart go "rumpity-thump" for a minute or two instead of "lub-dub", but it'll only kill you if you hang on for a while.

So keep one hand in your pocket any time the circuit's powered up, and have fun.

I have _never_ been shocked by a piece of tube equipment. AC mains, yes. Telephone lines, yes (you have to jam the wires into your finger to do this, but man it hurts when you do). Ringing telephone lines, yes.

But never tube equipment.

--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services

Tim Wescott

Excellent advice.

You haven't 'lived' until you touched the anode cap of a color TV horizontal output. The anode of the CRT isn't much fun either.

G=B2

Reply to
stratus46

s.

.

By "low volltage" I meant any voltage below 160v.

Dave Australia

Reply to
Dave.H

--
12AD6, 12AE6A, 12AF6, 12BL6, 12EK6, 12F8...

JF
Reply to
John Fields

IIRC those are all for signal processing and are exceedingly wimpy, requiring you to implement the audio output stage with germanium transistors.

--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services

Tim Wescott

I suspect that any circuit that works up to 300V will work at reduced power at 160V.

I found a bunch of OTL circuits on the web. The authors thought they were cool because once you've got an OTL amplifier you're just one LN2 dip away from audiophile nirvana -- I think they're cool because you don't need to spring for an expensive audio amplifier for each channel.

--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services

Tim Wescott