Tesla "Death Ray" not really a ray?

Hello all, I recently finished a biogrpahy of Nikola Tesla by Mary Cheney (Tesla: Man Out of Time). It's chronological and has some references to his inventions and hypotheses but in minute detail. The description of the "Death Ray" got me thinking. There is a quote about stopping 10,000 enemy planes from entering within hundreds of miles of a city's borders. Since his research was heavily into fields, maybe it wasn't a death ray afterall but instead a force field? Whether it repelled or had so much energy it disintegrated things on contact who knows, but such a device could fall under the same description. It would be like a field shell instead of a filled field sphere. Thoughts on this line of thinking? In short: Taking an electric field and allowing it to be repulsive or filled at it's outermost edges with highly-charged particles and/or an atoms thickness?

Reply to
gregory.hilson