Switching power supplies and overcurrent protection

I see three types of overcurrent proctection in SPSs these days - Shutdown, hiccup mode and constant current limiting. Unlike with shutdown and hiccup types, is it correct to assume that voltage is never disconnected from the load, during an overcurrent condition, for CC limiting types? And if so, wouldn't this be the best type of SPS to use in the event of fast overcurrent spikes?

Reply to
oparr

Depends on your application. If those spikes are "normal" in your scenario and not an indicator of doomsday being around the corner then constant current may be your ticket. I use it a lot, for example in gear that can occasionally arc and where that is considered ok. But there is usually some sensing included that puts a lid on it when the frequency of spikes gets to be too much.

If stuff could be overstressed consider slight foldback.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

** The output filter electros in SMPS will always supply fast, over ( rated) current spikes.

IME - only linear PSU have instantaneous acting current limiting.

..... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

App is low power DC servo CNC. Unregulated DC supplies are the norm here but nowadays a SPS can be cheaper than the AC transformer al>

Reply to
oparr

Well, fast is a relative term, so let me put it this way....I've found Meanwell shutdown and hiccup SPS types to be unsuitable for my needs.

Reply to
oparr

"Phil Allison"

:Well, fast is a relative term,

** Sure is.

You need to learn basic electronics terminology.

: so let me put it this way...

** You need to lean to write clear English.

Shame the pre-requisite for that is clear thinking.

: I've found Meanwell shutdown and hiccup SPS types : to be unsuitable for my needs.

** Simple - don't use them.

You already know what kind of PSU works .

..... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

I think it suffices to say that the mean spirited and the wretched from down under are best avoided.

Reply to
oparr

Then you need one with clean current limiting or hang a large capacitor onto it. But there is often a maximum allowed capacitance so I'd ask the manufacturer.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

Brushes in DC motors might short intermittently, and the ripple current (1) doesn't drive the motor (isn't required), and (2) might overstress a capacitor. A series choke is an easier solution than big capacitor, in this case.

Reply to
whit3rd

He just needs a choke and load R ..

common problem.

Reply to
Jamie

Thanks! I'll get one of the CC limiting types and see how that fares.

Reply to
oparr

But make sure to push the choke back in after 1-2 miles :-)