Suface Mount Prototyping

Hi Everyone,

I purchased the following Honeywell chipset:

...and wanted to prototype a circuit using these chips. I wasn't expecting these chips to be so small. Geez, I can barely even see the pins on the HMC1052 :) . I guess I was thinking for some kookie reason that I could plug these directly into my breadboard...Oh well....

Obviously, there's no way for me to directly mount these chip on my board (i'm using the Parallax NX-1000).

Does anyone have any suggestions as to how I might be able to use these? Keep in mind that I am very new to electronics and not an expert solderer. I was hoping that someone might be able to let me know if there's some sort of host socket (or something) I can use so that I can work with these chips on my breardboard.

Any ideas will be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!!

Reply to
Drake

On a breadboard,glue it upside down, and solder with wirewrap wire.

Reply to
Sjouke Burry

On 17 Jul 2006 15:00:15 -0700, "Drake" Gave us:

The method is called "dead bug" You superglue it to the PCB upside down in a desired area, and then use very fine wire to hook up the pins to your other circuit elements.

Remember to pay close attention to pin locations as things get confusing when "mirrored" as happens with upside down chips.

Also, try to keep you point to point leads short. Fine, high end tweezers, a *good* iron, and an inspection microscope or desk lamp with magnifier aid things along.

Reply to
Phat Bytestard

On Tue, 18 Jul 2006 00:34:32 +0200, Sjouke Burry Gave us:

One must go much finer than wire wrap wire these days. 30 gauge or even smaller. Teflon coated "jumper wire" (or called "hook up wire") or even fine gauge mag wire will work.

Reply to
Phat Bytestard

--Someone was selling a neat little pre-tinned PC board for attaching surface mount stuff at the Makers Faire; will see if I can dig out the one they were giving away and get you a name..

-- "Steamboat Ed" Haas : What if the whole world Hacking the Trailing Edge! : farted at once?

---Decks a-wash in a sea of words---

Reply to
steamer

I'm new to this SMT stuff, too. Here's a good NASA best practices pdf I just ran across. I've found it as a website, too, but I suggest dwnld the pdf file so you can blow the sucker up to view.

workmanship.nasa.gov/lib/insp/2%20books/links/sections/files/303.pdf

nb

Reply to
notbob

Thanks everyone for the repsonses.