Substituting capacitors with different voltage ratings?

--
Leakage might be less, a good thing.
Reply to

I'm starting out building a simple 555 tester circuit before I move on to the more complicated bike timer. I was wondering what the possible effect on using a 1uF cap with 50 volt rating instead of the suggested 1uF 16 Volt?

Lawrence

Reply to
Tristar

Electrically you can substitute with a higher spec. However, if you are using a printed circuit board the 50 V type may not fit mechanically, since it will be larger than a 16 V.

Reply to
Dr Engelbert Buxbaum

You also have to be careful about substutions in circuits requiring low ESR cpacitors.

--
Link to my "Computers for disabled Veterans" project website deleted
after threats were telephoned to my church.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

It'd cost more, be bigger, and possibly last a little longer. :)

With capacitors the voltage rating is the maximum volts it can handle. so a 50V capacitor is more rugged but otherwise electrically identical to a 16V part.

Bye. Jasen

Reply to
Jasen Betts