Voltage regulators and capacitors

Evening,

I am looking at STI Microelectronics L78Sxx 2A positive voltage regulars to reduce 24 - 31v DC from a boat battery to varying DC voltages. It appears that these can be used with no external components, but a diagram shows an output capacitor of 0.1uF to improve transient response and an input capacitor of 0.33uF if the regulator is an appreciable distance from poer supply filter.

Are these really needed and what type of cap?? - I assume a small ceramic would do.

TVMIA

Reply to
CS

Yes, they are really needed.

When three terminal regulators were knew, it was easy to dismiss the capacitors, "why do we need them, it's just a voltage regulator?". But then they were really great oscillators without the proper bypassing. Everyone soon learned the necessity of those capacitors.

If you have the regulator right next to the large filter capacitor of a power supply, the input capacitor may not be needed, since the filter capacitor might do the job of keeping the regulator from oscillating. Or it might not, since the filter capacitor is there to filter the 60Hz, and is so large in value that the accumulated inductance completely negates its value at higher frequency where it would be need to stop oscillation.

The old National databook would always list three values for that input capacitor, depending on the type of capacitor used. The actual value was less important than the capacitor's effectiveness at bypassing the higher frequencies.

The 0.1uF on the output would be a ceramic capacitor.

I don't seem to recall having problems with a .1uF ceramic capacitor on the input of a 3 terminal regulator, but I'm too lazy to dig out the National databook to find out exactly what they said.

Michael

Reply to
Michael Black

It's certainly easy and cheap enough to just put a small bypass cap of 0.1 to 1 uF at the input close to the pins. It's also a good idea to have some sort of output capacitor to handle brief current surges of the load. But if the output capacitor is much larger than the input capacitor, and especially if you disconnect the regulator from the main filter capacitor, it's a good idea to put a diode from output to input to avoid back biasing the regulator, where the output voltage is higher than the input (by more than a diode drop).

Paul

Reply to
Paul E. Schoen

0.33uF capacitors seem to be rare as rocking horse guano, but 0.47uF are available. OK to use 0.47uF?? Also are metallised polyester capacitors acceptable or should I use electrolytic??

TVMIA

Reply to
CS