Storing Electronic Components In Plastic Trays

Is there any danger of excessive static buildup if I keep all my parts in the plastic fishing tackle trays (3700-series, made by Plano)?

For ESD-sensitive ICs I have squares of conductive foam in the trays that I stick them into, but should I also worry about JFETs and MOSFETs? Normal everyday capacitors and non-CMOS semiconductors are pretty robust, right?

My other problem is that I'm allergic to just about every fabric softener on the market, so in the winter months when the air dries out I turn into the Human Dynamo. A humidifier will help, but I suppose I should get a groundstrap for my wrist too, huh?

thanks for any and all...

Reply to
phaeton

I would take care with any semiconductor. I believe that FETs can be especially sensitive to ESD.

capacitors, resistors are not a problem

Dan

-- Dan Hollands

1120 S Creek Dr Webster NY 14580
Reply to
Dan Hollands

Maybe. Will it hold a static charge? Load one up with some styrofoam beads (or crumbled/shredded styrofoam packing) and see how hard it is to get it off _with a dry cloth_. If the styrofoam comes off easily, good. If all you can do is move it around, bad.

Me too...

If you want to, but I've never blown one by using other storage methods despite the fact that most MOSFETs only need 20 (twenty, not two hundred or even two thousand) volts on the gate to kill them permanently. OTOH two things to consider; I don't have your "human Dynamo" problem, and dumb luck has counted for a lot in my life...

Right.

Groundstrap + resistive-pad-type work surface for you HD types are Very Good Ideas. BTW I'd avoid actually grounding the strap when working on live circuits...

Also, dry skin is _not_ due to a hand cream deficiency, no matter what the manufacturers tell you; actually it's because your skin is somewhat dehydrated _from the inside_. Drink more water and lay off the diuretics like coffee, tea, sodas, and alcohol.

Mark L. Fergerson

Reply to
Mark Fergerson

Thanks for the replies everyone. But now I've gotta ask:

So what do you guys store your parts in then?

:-D

Reply to
phaeton

I stick leaded ICs into conductive foam. I keep smt components in carriers or envelopes.

--
Regards,
  Bob Monsen

Cantorism (set theory) is a disease from which mathematics will have to
recover.
- Henri Poincare
Reply to
Bob Monsen