Soldering Station

I need a new soldering station to replace one I lost during a move. This is for hobby use in microcontrollers and general analog/digital work.

Is a Metcal MX-500 a reasonable choice for these applications? I know it's more expensive than other stations, but I've heard good things about it.

Anything else I should consider?

Reply to
sodaant

Hop over to

and
for some other options. I've been pretty happy with Xytronic gear plus Web-Tronics has some "house brand" equipment that looks pretty good.

If you're setting up a new station, it's probably worth it nowadays to go ahead and get a hot air + iron + desoldering-iron.

--
Rich Webb     Norfolk, VA
Reply to

That's what I use for my hobby work (uC+A/D, just like you). I got it only because it was on eBay (used) for the same price as a new SP200. I eventually added the talon (not available for the SP200) which quickly turned into my favorite non-iron tool.

Also, I'd been using an old Radio Shack iron for many years (decades?) and decided it was worth spending extra for better tools.

Reply to
DJ Delorie

Every Metcal I've used (including the MX-500) has been far and away better than every other solder station I've used. On the other hand, for about

1/10th as much you can get a perfectly acceptable station (including the Xytronic 379 someone mentioned in another post).

If I were going to upgrade I'd probably spend the money on a stereo magnifier first, and then the Metcal.

--
Ben Jackson AD7GD

http://www.ben.com/
Reply to
Ben Jackson

It's a great choice but you can get a good iron for less. I couldn't be happier with my new Metcal PS-900 though. It rivals an 80W pencil iron on the big stuff (with their large chisel tip) and is delicate enough for SMT work. No temperature adjustment needed either!

John

Reply to
John

I think someone already mentioned going to E-Bay to look for a used Metcal. Great idea! I did that and am very happy with the rsults. I got an MX-100 with a lot of extras (extra tips, solder, and tools) for a very reasonable price. You can't beat the flexibility of the Metcal stations, especially if you need to (eventually) do fine-pitch surface mount work. All that being said, I still use an old Weller WES051 station for quick solder jobs, also. Its been a work-horse for a lot of years!

Dave

Reply to
starfire