magnification re-work station

Anyone have a good source for scopes/magnifying, solder/rework equipment? Thinking about a little upgrading as parts get smaller.

what are you guys using?

Reply to
1 Lucky Texan

Relatively inexpensive, good enough optics for work and inspection [*], LED illumination with 3xAA rechargeables in the base, includes case.

Tools over at

and
and
among others.

[*] although work is really mostly done with an OptiVISOR headset.
--
Rich Webb     Norfolk, VA
Reply to

Madell

Jim Stewart

We've got Mantis microscopes

and Metcal soldering stations, both of which I quite like.

--
Rob Gaddi, Highland Technology
Email address is currently out of order

Expensive. Of course, John L. certainly has a lot to say about how well they work and I completely believe him about it. They are out of the ballpark for some of us hobbyists.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Kirwan

There are a number of different visors that I have used, but I found that the focal length was very short (I have a problematic neck) which resulted in some discomfort after an extended period. I managed to persuade my employer to cough up for a pair of dental loupes (Dimension 3)from Orascoptic

These are custom made so there should be no eye strain and the focal length can be chosen as well as the magnification. Unfortunately I chose the lesser magnification because at the time I was working with 1206 /SO8 type sizes. As things have shrunk, I have felt the need for greater magnification.

I didn't go for the head lamp because it was so bright, it washed out all ID on the devices.

The only problem is convincing your boss that you are worth a couple of thousand dollars. They are certainly worth it to me.

Digitus also make a microscope/camera which I got from Digikey

which works well, but not really practical for assembly.

-Aubrey

antedeluvian

Thanx all Doesn't seem like there's much new in 'boom scopes'/etc. The cool looking stuff seems really pricey. Some units very similar to what we have now. But some stuff looks higher quality. I'm passing this along to the bosses. They can decide what demos to bring in.

thanx again!

Reply to
1 Lucky Texan

I've been using a 10X/30X Paragon from LW Scientific for about

8 years. Relief between lens and focal plane is about 4"---more than enough to get in soldering iron and tweezers. I almost always use the 10X setting. I use a $20 adjustable lamp from Staples for lighting. (60W equivalent CFL bulb).

I often solder all except the very fine-pitch parts with one of the 3X magnifying headsets available in the tool department of most larger department stores. I still use the microscope for final inspection, though.

IIRC scope cost was about $200 then. They are now available for $220 or so.

Search on microscopes and price from low to high.

For soldering, I use a fairly simple Weller iron---no digital display, etc. Just a temperature setting knob. Make sure to get one with a grounded tip and replaceable tips. I generally use the finest long conical point tips.

Mark Borgerson

Reply to
Mark Borgerson

and Metcal soldering

I will second the Metcal. I have used them in a couple of places and they are really nice. But you get what you pay for, they are not cheap. For hobby stuff, any 15 watt iron with a small tip will do the job. But I wouldn't use anything from Radio Shack.

Rick

Reply to
rickman