Soldering/desoldering batteries?

I have some 9.6V NiMH battery packs (originally for R/C use).

Taking apart the plastic casing, I found eight AA-sized unmarked batteries connected in series.

Since my current project needs 12V, the simplest thing would be for me to desolder the tabs and assemble a set of ten.

But I've always heard that batteries and soldering irons don't mix.

If I'm to use these at all, it will require a certain amount of soldering and/or desoldering (cutting a tab joining two batteries doesn't leave enough of a stub to solder onto). (I can't cut them apart and put them into a battery holder because of the added weight.)

Is the danger of soldering/desoldering batteries only that it might ruin them (an acceptable risk), or could a NiMH cell explode/be dangerous?

Alternately, is there way to change from 9.6VDC to 12VDC,

Reply to
Wildepad

Look carefully at the tabs, are they currently soldered or are they spot welded? Typically the tab is spot welded to the battery. I would not solder directly to the battery, rather, find a shop that can spot weld the batteries together in your desired configuration.

Reply to
Lord Garth

I've soldered bunches of them (for RC planes). I never had any problems.

Use a high-powered iron and be quick about it. Use just enough heat to get the job done.

Bob

Reply to
Bob

Both. In one pack, they look spot welded, and in another (same model number, different year of manufacture), they're soldered. In both cases, they can't be mechanically removed without tearing off the end of the battery. But even on the one that is spot welded, the leads that go to the pack-terminals are soldered on.

I'm afraid there's no place around here that could do that.

Thanks for responding!

Wildepad

I agree with bob. Use a gun and get some solder flux. Wet the battery with flux and then I pre-tin it with solder (both wire and battery) then touch wire to battery with iron and you have it. You should plan out the shape you want before hand so it fits what its going in. JTT

Reply to
James Thompson

Thanks!

I don't know when/where/why I learned that you're not supposed to solder to batteries, but I hoped there were exceptions.

(Sorry to answer indirectly, but your post didn't reach my server).

I'll try it that way. Thanks.

That's good advice. Fortunately, this can just be a slab for now. I'll get fancy with weight distribution once I get the other 1,862 bugs worked out.

Wildepad