12 volt Mains adaptor - query re amps

The mains adaptor for my router (a Cisco Wireless-G WAG54G) has just died a death - the router's power requirements are 12volts at 1amp. I have a spare 12volt mains adaptor but it's only rated at 500mA. I've tried it and all seems well, but am I likely to experience problems using it with the 1amp router?

If so, would the worst thing to happen be the failure of the mains adaptor?

Just to be on the safe side, should I obtain one rated at 1 amp?

Thanks

Reply to
matt

does it get hot????

Reply to
Ryan Weihl

does it still produce 12volts. what AC or DC??

Reply to
Ryan Weihl

--
More than likely what\'ll happen, long term, is that you\'ll overheat
the transformer in the adaptor and it\'ll fail prematurely.  Also,

Thanks for the replies - I'll buy one rated at 1A then. :)

BTW, it's 12 volts DC.

Reply to
matt

Yes - that's the proper way to do it. You say you've tried the 500 mA adapter and it "seems" well, but I'd check how hot it's getting - if you only run the router at 50% duty cycle or less, you might get away with it, at least until the adapter melts. ;-)

Good Luck! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise