Securing a circuit

Hi,

I have ben looking for a web site that would show me how to secure a circuit from spikes , over load or anything that can possibly go wrong in a circuit. either power from batteries or from an outlet. Ex: putting a fuse at the input of the primary side of a transformer in series with an on/off switch.

Ken

Reply to
Ken O

Hi,

As far as I know.. ZNR will help on spike (to some extended), Cowbar curcuit for overvoltage (but will blow the fuse), fuse as basic protection on the curent drawn from your circuit (either by input voltage high or your circuit faulty).

I think you must 1st define the need protection and the parameter you wanted to protect from then you can worried about the details circuit design.

But again, I maybe miss-leading you... you never indicate your input voltage AC or DC and range... also where is your final equipment going to be used...

M.Pathma

Reply to
M.Pathma

Hi, Ken. The circuit you're looking for doesn't exist. Too many things can go wrong, and many times adding on blivets and other creations creates its own problems which also lower reliability, like MOVs or transzorbs.

If I'm making an electronic project where I want high power supply reliability, and I can afford the heat and weight, I'll just purchase and build in a linear open frame power supply with overvoltage protection from a good manufacturer. Nearly all of them are based on the venerable LM723, which can easily be scaled up to amps of current with pass transistors. They always provide very well regulated power, and are pretty much impervious to line transients and spikes. Since they provide current-limited power, they're also well-protected against most things that can happen to the circuit being powered, too. If you use these power supplies conservatively (

Reply to
Chris

Alright thanks guys.

ken