SW that would draw a switching circuit

Hi, does any SW exist that given a Boolean formula it would draw a switching circuit? Thanks.

Reply to
Newberry

Not that I know of, but given a boolean formula I can then reduce it and implement it quite simply. The implementation method would depend on the complexity and overall cost, power consumption and stability of the various options, of course, depending on the design parameters of the system it is part of.

Why do you ask?

[I do note it is Sunday night and a lot of students are scrambling to get their first pieces of major homework done and in to the instructor- there have been a lot of obvious homework requests today on usenet].

Cheers

PeteS

Reply to
PeteS

I am studying some aspects of Boolean algebra and a switching circuit sometimes gives me a better intuitive understanding of a formula. By "switching circuit" I mean AND, OR, NOT gates. I am not too concerned about power consumpton, fan in, fan out at this stage.

It is surprising that such a SW does not exist. I presume that SW for circuit design does exist. So how do you use it? You drag and drop the icons and connect them manually? BTW, I am not a student doing homework.

Reply to
Newberry

You're acting like one.

A minimized Boolean expression can be reduced to schematic by trivial observation.

...Jim Thompson

 Click to see the full signature

"Newberry" schreef in bericht news: snipped-for-privacy@m73g2000cwd.googlegroups.com...

I can't see an application for this type of software. Even for educational purposes you can better do the drawing by hand. More complicated designs will not be documented by drawing gates. The formula defines the required function and is programmed into a PLD or similar device. These days Verilog and VHDL are the tools to design logic circuits. They have the possibillity of schematic capture but do not translate formula in drawings. As I said, I see no use for it.

petrus bitbyter

Reply to
petrus bitbyter

GPG

Not bad, but when I click Map --> Fill with --> Formula nothing happens.

Reply to
Newberry

I guess you'll have to visualise the gates yourself.

Without wishing to seem mean, I wonder why you think such a tool will help you. I can visualise virtually any gating arrangement from a boolean expression (and I can minimise it, of course - can you?).

If I can not visualise it, I draw it, which is not difficult. I am at a loss to understand why you want a computer to do this for you if you are trying to understand it.

Cheers

PeteS

Reply to
PeteS

Actually, the software for hardware design exists, but there is no software that exists to actually *design*. That is the realm of thought.

There are limits on software (the ability of the writer comes to mind).

Cheers

PeteS

Reply to
PeteS

Hi Petrus,

It looks quite nice on the website. Have you personally used it? Thanks!

...Jim Thompson

 Click to see the full signature

Oooops! Wrong attribution. GPG?

...Jim Thompson

 Click to see the full signature

educational

Verilog

possibillity

said, I

It will save me time + it will look neater.

Reply to
Newberry

Had the older free version which supported formula input, upgraded to the current free version which has more variables but formula input appears to be disabled. Have not found a practical use for it since a truth table and a piece of paper usually suffices.

Reply to
GPG

Verilog

possibillity

I can do 8-inputs by hand, but it's a pain. It certainly looks like it's worth $40 (pro version).