Schematic Capture and Board Layout Software

Are there any schematic capture/board layout applications available for Windows that don't cost an arm and a leg, yet are reasonably functional?

EasyPCB is the only one I'm familiar with, but I'd rather have something that I can use to design and layout boards to be built by other companies.

Reply to
sodaant

Kicad

I've sent their Gerber files out to get PCB's made, with no problems.

I haven't tried multi-layer stuff, though...

Reply to
Randy Day

I've used EasyCad (from Fastcad.com) for schematic - it's meant for 2D stuff, but since we had it at work, I tend to use it out of familiarity and convenience. If you buy it it is around $300 I think for a license. Then manually type the netlist in PADSPCB format. Sounds laborious, but not too bad, and the extra time means I notice things that should be on the circuit but aren't. I tried KICAD but am so familiar with Easycad that the learning curve seemed too steep. And it didn't make as pretty coloured drawings.

FREEPCB seems really handy for layouts, taking the netlist in along with component shapes. Sometimes notice things missing again ! Edit to netlist and re-import. I lashed up a little program to extract the parts and nets into simple lists to make sure all the nets were imported correctly. Just don't trust myself - with good reason. Works up to 16 layers (iirc). Just waiting for first pcb to come back from PCBCART in China to see if it all hangs together for a doublesided, then will try their 4 and 6 layer.

hth Neil

Reply to
Neil