rs 232 signal safe for computer?

I have a system giving an RS 232 output with logical 0 at +15V and logical 1 at -15V. Is this signal safe to connect to the serial port of a computer? If not how do I use this for a computer input? and to which pin should I connect it. Please Help! Urgent! Thanks

Reply to
Maddy

The short answer is yes, it is safe.

The longer answer is not to experiment on ports you can't fix like the ports integrated into you laptop or motherboard.

Reply to
Lord Garth

Your PC serial port is designed to accept voltages which meet the RS232 specification.

Try Googling for keywords like:

RS232 min max voltage RS232 pc serial port pinout

You will find hundreds of sites answering your question.

Reply to
Andrew Holme