radio tracking a tortoise - HELP!

Every year, Shelly the tortoise gets lost or manages to escape the garden. It can take days to find her. I would like to build a locating device so that I can track her down. The basic requirements are:

a) that the 'transmitter (transponder?) on the tortoise is as small as possible.

b) that it can be made by an electronics numpty. I have basic soldering skills, and can eventually work out a circuit diagram.

TIA Floatything (an escapee from uk.rec.sailing)

Reply to
Floatything

There are tons of these on the web. Just google "rocket tracking transmitter" or "model airplane tracking transmitter". There are many circuits and kits available. richard

Reply to
spudnuty

Why not just paint her bright green?

Reply to
Matt J. McCullar

garden.

so

I did think of putting an led on her so I could search at night - but she has a tendency to bury herself in the undergrowth - hence I'm going down the raidio route.

Floatything

Reply to
Floatything

garden.

so

soldering

Thanks for that Richard, I have looked briefly at these - but the ones I've seen so far seem too big for a single Kilotort.

Floatything

Reply to
Floatything

How big is Shelly? Richard

Reply to
spudnuty

device

she

the

About 20cm (8") long - perhaps15cm wide (6"), 10cm (4") high, weighs 1Kg.

Floatything

Reply to
Floatything

Glue a key finder on her back.

--DF

Reply to
Deefoo

Good call DF! I think this is the best idea. You will need to take the responder apart and waterproof it. I gets around the problem of battery drain since these devices draw no power until activated. Plus it will take a minimum of electronic knowledge. Richard

Reply to
spudnuty

Try seeking some advice from the New Zealand Department of Conservation which uses these things to keep track of kiwis and native parrots. You will find their web site easily enough. Then start emailing.

Roger Dewhurst.

Reply to
Roger Dewhurst

They have everything from plans to complete units.

Good Luck! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

Green? Notwithstanding painting a tortoise's shell is very very bad for the tortise, if I _could_ find safe tortoise paint, I'd go for blaze orange. ;-)

Then, you can find her at night with a black light. ;-)

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

garden.

so

soldering

will

They must be veeery small then 'cause I've never found one in the many kiwis I ate. And now they track my shit?

;o)

--DF

Reply to
Deefoo

I know you guys were tracked, especially abroad, but I thought they use your cellphone for that.

--
ciao Ban
Apricale, Italy