Powering Rope Light With Batteries?

So I've got two 20 ft lengths of rope light:

Specs: AC 120V, 60Hz, 0.5A

And I'd like to use one or both via battery power. Can anyone offer any help on how I'd go about doing this?

Thanks, Justin

Reply to
jstealth03

You didn't say what battery voltage you have available. But they sell small standalone "Power Inverter" DC-to-AC converter units, for doing just that type of thing, typically from a 12V car battery.

For up to 100 Watts or so, they are pretty cheap. They are a very common consumer-level item. Check some retailers (e.g. RadioShack, or maybe even WalMart), or eBay.com.

Or did you mean that you want to design and/or build your own DC-to-AC converter?

- Tom Gootee

tomg

Reply to
j.rumao

From what kind of battery - esp what voltage.

Graham

Reply to
Eeyore

Not even remotely sensible.

That rope light takes 60 watts. That's a fairly high power drain. A couple of D cells won't do it !

You *could* try about 90 NiMH rechargeable cells in series. Are you up for that ?

Graham

Reply to
Eeyore

You'd need a couple of thousand D cells. Why do you want to do this?

Reply to
Homer J Simpson

Haha I'll take that as a no. I was planning on hanging some rope light from the ceiling to avoid draping any kind of wiring on the walls, but apparently that's the logical thing to do.

Thanks anyway.

that ?

Reply to
j.rumao

And how is this different from the recent thread where someone wanted to decorate his daughter, and wanted to know how to supply the needed AC voltage for the Christmas lights? MIchael

Reply to
Michael Black