Power supply current?

------------

** Fair enough - the OP has been very vague.
** But not *power* triodes - like the 300B.

They like 700 to 800V.

** Only IF you use toriodals.

The magnetising current with cheap E-cores will spoil that quite a bit.

Look, I admit have done it myself for a low current, tube pre-amp with a pair of 12AX7 / ECCL83s.

FYI:

I admit I have done many things myself I would never recommend on an internet forum while ever I use my REAL name.

There is so much risk of *misinterpretation* of a seemingly good idea.

One reason being, 500VDC is dangerous, concieveably fatal for anyone with little experience.

BTW I think you are one of the better, more serious posters here.

.... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

--------------------

** I do know it can - but no so much at higher currents.

** Well, it in fact does.

AC supply transformers are NOT intended to be run backwards.

Take a 15VA, 240V to 6.3V tranny - the off load voltage is gonna be about 7.5V. The gives a turns ratio of 32:1.

On load, 6.3V multiplied by 32 = 201V - so not 240.

Now, the approx 30mA magnetising current has moved from the primary secondary, so multiplied by 32 = 0.96 amps.

In reality you will be lucky to get 180V before rectification, filtering and load.

Been there, done that.

... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

OK, I'll take your word for it. As I said, I did that "many moons ago" - decades in fact, and I don't remember the details.

Reply to
Pimpom

About right. Over 30 years ago I used back-to-back toroidals to get a safer supply to a 230V pond pump 10 metres away in the garden.

The matching toroidals were 230:18-21-24-27-30V and rated at 3A. I used the 30V output of the first, ran it through 10m of 1.5mm^2 cable, and connected it the 27V secondary of the second toroidal. The pump was rated at 50W, and, from what I remember, I got about 220V out from the primary of the second toroidal when under load. It worked that way without problem for many years.

--

Jeff
Reply to

So far as making ones own is concerned, I found this

while looking for something else.

Reply to
Peter Percival