Poisioning Myself While Charging a PowerPack in My Automobile

If I decide to charge a power pack like the Xantrex 600 from a 12v outlet inside the car, am going to poison myself from any toxic or noxious fumes coming from the PP. Is there a way to ventilate the fumes easily?

--
                          Wayne Watson (Nevada City, CA)

                        Web Page:
Reply to
W. Watson

It uses a sealed AGM battery. If you charge it properly there will be no fumes.

Ed

Reply to
ehsjr

The battery is a sealed unit, AGM type for Absorbed Glass Mat. It is a fiberglass material that hold the electrolyte.

Charging will only occur if your engine is running since you need more that the battery potential (12 volts) to accomplish this, assuming that the battery in the portable unit is 12 volts at the start.

The charging rate will determine how fast hydrogen is produced while the construction on the battery will determine the rate the gas can be absorbed. The battery will vent the gas if there is too much pressure. Failing this, the cell will swell, sometimes very visibly and possibly bursting.

There is likely a current limiting device within the DC charging cable to prevent overcharging but venting is normally a wise precaution.

Reply to
Lord Garth

Ergo, exhaust is probably a much more serious health threat. :-)

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

battery

Now the "Yeah, but..."

Yeah, but the exhaust is outside the vehicle and behind him so it's as well ventilated as it can get. ;-)

Reply to
Lord Garth

--
                          Wayne Watson (Nevada City, CA)

                        Web Page:
Reply to
W. Watson

(AGM)

problem.

The battery itself has pop off vents and the unit is not likely air tight nor is the trunk to cabin space though some trunks are pretty close. This is probably not any real issue but I have observed a hood blown off a car due to the owner charging the battery with the compartment closed. I don't recall how long it sat but when he tried to start the engine, the hood blew off.

Measure the current drawn when the DC cable is attached. A trickle charge is usually about one tenth the discharge rate.

Reply to
Lord Garth

In any case, any gases evolved would be hydrogen and oxygen as H2 and O2. Neither is poisonous. Any explosion would result in non-toxic, green smithereens.

-- John

Reply to
John O'Flaherty

--