Plugging cryostat designed for 50Hz into 60Hz but same voltage

Hi, Everyone! Cryostat is device that has electronic components and compressor. I have a cryostat that is designed for 220-230V 50Hz. If I plug it into

220-230V 60Hz, what is going to happen?

What I understand is that frequency change may cause current change depending on change of the impendance. How is the impedance of the compressor changed? What kind of circuit is usually in compressor? (in terms of R, L and C).

Reply to
Simon

might work, might fail.

it's probably an induction motor, if so 60 hz will cause it to try to go faster, it'll use more power and get hotter, may die, may survive.

if it dies a refrigertor mechanic will be able to replace it with one designed for 60Hz

--

Bye.
   Jasen

. Maybe. But operating at 60 instead of 50 means that the reactance of the motor may be higher. Viz: 2 x pi x (FL) most likely limiting the current slightly.

Usually little problem going from 50 to 60? But even if the motor were to 'struggle' a little on 60 with the reduced current thus tending to slow down, it will then draw more load current to operate the load?

However when going the other way; 60 to 50, some small and marginally engineered units don't like it! My 60 hertz shaver got damnably hot on 50 hertz although the voltage was correct! Didn't measure it but estimated that 50 cycle current, could be 60/50 = 1.2 times that at 60.

And I squared (1.2 x 1.2) = 1.44 or almost one and half times the power dissipation?

Just a coupla of thoughts!

Reply to
terry

. Check with the manufacturer.

  1. Try it and see. Use independent temperature measuring equipment to verify correct operation.

There will likely be a motor which powers a reciprocating compressor. The motor may or not, depending on design, run slightly faster than designed, by a factor of 6:5. The electronics will be supplied with low voltage DC and will most likely be unaffected. I doubt that correct temperature sensing will be affected. It will probably operate OK. You are very unlikely indeed to harm the device by connecting it to a 60Hz supply.

Reply to
mike.j.harvey