Plugging cryostat designed for 50Hz into 60Hz but same voltage

Hi, Everyone!

Cryostat is device that has electronic components and compressor. I have a cryostat that is designed for 220-230V 50Hz. If I plug it into

220-230V 60Hz, what is going to happen?

What I understand is that frequency change may cause current change depending on change of the impendance. How is the impedance of the compressor changed? What kind of circuit is usually in compressor? (in terms of R, L and C).

Reply to
Simon

Have you looked inside this unit ?

I would venture a guess that the electronic components run off a DC power supply. The DC power supply may handle thet 50Hz with out any problems.

The compressor may use a different power supply that uses the 50 Hz input directly.

So, open it up a take a few pictures and show us all what you found.

donald

Reply to
Donald

Holy Cow,

Google had over 2 million hits on cryostat.

Now that I know its an instrument name, not a manufacture name, I would ask whom is the manufacture ??

Without more information, we (I) am only guessing.

good luck

donald

Reply to
Donald

Contact the manufacturer. They wil be able to answer directly. If they could, they would have designed a system that coud run from both 50Hz and 60Hz mains supplies, but if the compressor motor runs directly from mains AC you could be in trouble.

Even then swapping the compressor motor mght well be cheap and fairly easy.

--
Bil Sloman, Nijmegen (but in Sydney at the moment).
Reply to

Well, I'd assume it will work fine. The AC motors (if any) might have slightly reduced torque and higher speed, and any AC solenoids (for solenoid-operated valves or relays) might get a tad warmer (and weaker in their function), but it's unlikely anything critically depends on the line frequency. Certainly most electronics runs from regulated DC power, and would be unaffected.

Safest, of course, to ask the manufacturer; they might even ship you an amended nameplate to bless the different power source.

If noise is an issue, beware! Those different motor speeds mean all the factory noise reduction was tuned for a different set of notes...

Reply to
whit3rd