PCB Heat Management

Hi, this is my first full eletronics project so this truly is a beginner question. I'm making a device that uses a PCB to power 6 loads that will equal a maximum of 100 watts. And I'm wondering, assuming the loads can go either way, should I go with 12 or 24 volts for my power source.

Based on the I=P/V equation, a 12 volt power supply would result in about 8 Amps on the board, and a 24 volt power supply would result in just over 4 Amps on the board. Which is best? Would it make sense to use a 24 volt power supply instead of a 12 volt one? How do you compare the dangers of higher amps vs higher volts and what would I do to make a 100 watt device like this safe?

Reply to
Dave

Amps need copper to carry them. Volts need space between copper to keep them apart. But the minimum board space for

24 volts is a lot less than the copper width generally needed to carry 8 amps. So, just from a board design standpoint, I would prefer a 24 volt system.

Then you have to look into the cost, efficiency and availability of control devices and interconnects for the two cases. I am pretty confident that you will find that in almost every respect, the 24 volt system comes out ahead.

But don't take my word for it. Do a rough design for both cases and compare them.

Reply to
John Popelish

Generally speaking, the 24V system would be preferable, as the less current through your PCB, connectors and wiring etc the better. e.g. you might find that the lower current gives you more options with regards to what connectors you can use, and how long you can run the cabling to your load etc.

voltage between 12V and 24V, so unless there is something specific (some component spec perhaps) that prohibits 24V operation, I would go with 24V.

You'll need to provide further details if you want more detailed help.

Dave.

Reply to
David L. Jones

Thanks, I have been preparing to convert my project from 12 to 24 volts for a while. It seems to make sense... I just wanted to run it by someone first.

Reply to
Dave