pc power suply

On Thu, 7 Oct 2004 00:08:20 +0200 in sci.electronics.basics, "Zibi" wrote,

No, it should not. There are no AC outputs on a typical PC supply. Make sure you are operating it with a reasonable load on +5V or all bets are off. How are you measuring the output?

Reply to
David Harmon

Hi, should a PC power suply generate AC ??? Mine does, is it ok?

Zibi

Reply to
Zibi

Ok, here's the thing...

For lack of a better source I am using a PC supply to power my project. It's supposed to measure the characteristics of a PV cell. I am using an ATmega8535. I have a current source wchich is being used to change the load on a PC cell.

When I was using a normal (5V/max.500mA) source the characteristics were ok. Since I need a power source able to provide me with 16A (for the lights) I used a PC supply.

Now the characteristics have a harmonic distortion (hope it's called like tat:) furthermore, when I am trying to change the intensity of the light by using a MOSFET driven by the ATmega the processor gets crazy. I noticed a voltage drop on the base when i connect the lights so i gather that some current must flow through it. ergo...(i hope) there must be an AC somewhere.

that's about it

Zibi

Reply to
Zibi

16A sounds like a lot, if you go over the rating. It might be that the capacitors won't be able to hold the ripple away.

Maybe you need galvanic isolation. And it might also be that ATmega won't get enough "juice". Remember computer stuff won't accept any glitch in power supply. While motors, lamps etc.. don't care too much :)

Reply to
pbdelete