OT: Ever carry a 9 volt battery in your pocket?

Bad idea.

Without thinking, I put a 9 volt battery in my pocket. Soon, either I noticed it getting warm or maybe my brain simulated it getting warm in an effort to get my conscious attention. I promptly removed it.

Reply to
John Doe

An alkaline or heavy duty type battery will probably just get warm. But if you use a lithium rechargeable battery, your pants may catch on fire if a coin or keyring gets across it.

-Bill

Reply to
Bill Bowden

"Bill Bowden" John Dope

An alkaline or heavy duty type battery will probably just get warm.

** OTOH - the alkaline one may just explode too. The heat generated internally is something like 50 watts when shorted.

Crucially for 9 volt types, when one of the six cells goes flat the remaining 5 reverse charge it causing the explosion.

But if you use a lithium rechargeable battery, your pants may catch on fire if a coin or keyring gets across it.

** Same goes for NiCd and NiMH 9 volt types.

The current levels are much higher and results way more spectacular than with alkaline etc.

..... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

I managed to get some AA nicad cells and my key chain make a circuit in my pocket. At first I though maybe I got bit since I was hiking, but I dug in the pocket and determined it was the batteries.

Reply to
miso

Removing your brain was a good idea, but clearly it didn't affect your ability to post trolls or crap. Try removing other things, like the plug for your computer next time.

Reply to
PeterD

Removing your mother from my pants was an even better idea, Dickhead.

news.astraweb.com!border5.newsrouter.astraweb.com!news.glorb.com!news2.glorb.com!news.mv.net!not-for-mail

Reply to
John Doe

Done that. If it gets shorted by coins or something, it will get quite warm.

John

Why was she wearing your pants?

Reply to
a7yvm109gf5d1

Don't forget never to carry batteries in the same pocket as your steel wool

--
Dirk

Dirk Bruere at NeoPax

He was wearing her dress & heels, of course.

Michael A. Terrell

Or slightly corroded bullets.

Michael A. Terrell

Or even spare blasting caps

--
Dirk

Dirk Bruere at NeoPax

*NOW* you tell me!

John

About 45 years ago I had a battery something like this one (

) under my desk at school. I somehow got a penny shorted between the contacts, when I noticed, it was RED hot. I burned my fingers. I don't remember what the experiment was but I do remember the red hot penny. Mike

Reply to
amdx

At age 12-13, I was experimenting with inductance, using the motor from my Erector Set, clicking on a 6V lantern battery then dumping into a flashbulb (Press 25)... melted it over my finger :-( :-( :-(

(Still have the scar. Damn! That really hurt!)

...Jim Thompson

Gourmet Puzzles:

        What part of the fish are the "sticks"?

        Likewise where are the chicken "fingers" located?

Ooh, I'm impressed.

Reply to
PeterD

A cop in Trenton Ohio learned the hard way not to carry a spare battery for his police radio in the same pocket with spare bullets. He had done it before, and occasionally had a dead spare battery. The last time he did it, one of the bullets had enough surface resistance at the base of the brass casing, and went off in his pants pocket. That was in the early '70s, and I'll bet he's never tried it again.

Michael A. Terrell

I was about the same age when I put 5 or 6 D cells in a paper towel tube and put the voltage across the motor out of a record player. At the time I couldn't understand why I got a JOLT everytime I disconected the wire from the battery. Mike

Reply to
amdx

I recall seeing a video of a policeman who accidentally pulled the pin on his flashbang while it was still in his trouser pocket (for some reason or other). Probably got what we used to call a "deadleg" as kids.

--
Dirk

Dirk Bruere at NeoPax

My mother used to wrap her spare hearing aid battery in aluminum foil

- I don't recall if she noticed it getting warm, but she wondered why her "new" spare battery was always dead... (I saw her unwrapping the battery one day, and cured her of the habit.)

--
Peter Bennett, VE7CEI
peterbb4 (at) interchange.ubc.ca