Observatory Drawbridge Shutter--linear motors

I'm a bit further along with upgrading my observatory with electronics with a control system to rotate the dome, and raise and lower the shutter. I farmed out the PC board work to someone who has put relays, soft start controls, and other devices in the two NEMA enclosures. It'll probably take a month to get the boxes back. While waiting for that to happen, I've decided to take a shot a the lower shutter.

As I probably mentioned here some time ago, there is a lower and upper shutter. The lower shutter is about 33"x32", and has a glass window in it. My guess it the upper shutter is 12'x3'. The shutters are on two tracks, and roll along with wheels. Latches between the two can couple them together, so they both move up and down together. If not latched, the lower shutter sits on the apron (the circular structure on which the dome sits) of the dome while the upper one moves up/down.

The lower shutter was a mistake, when I first built the obs. It is quite unconventional. There may be 12 in the USA. As I quickly discovered, taking images through the window resulted in slightly distorted images. Not good. I had checked before buying the window shutter with five people who owned such a shutter. (It has something of a reasonable purpose for use in winter.) They all gave it thumbs up. I never asked what imaging through the glass produced good images. Nevertheless, the obs was still functional w/o the use of the window. The shutter weighs about 120-90 pounds.

A typical lower shutter is like a drawbridge. That is it pivots on the apron, and swings in or out with, in some cases, a hand winch, pulleys and wires. It only needs to be positioned 10-15 degrees above the horizon. Looking below that the sky is avoided because of the atmospheric thickness. What I want is to take the current lower shutter and make it look like a drawbridge. I plan to hire someone to do this. However, my enclosure-box guy thinks I can operate with a linear motor. He suggests using it on the apron and centered in the shutter. He's short on details and working on another project now until he can get back to mine. So my question is how is a linear motor going to help in this situation. Why in the middle??? I haven't a clue.

Reply to
W. eWatson

See the following url for some desirable features of linear motors:

Centered in the "drawbridge" avoids twisting torque that would result from the weight of the "drawbridge" if one corner is supported by the motor and the other is not.

Ed

Reply to
ehsjr

Probably eight months I bought a linear motor thinking it would do the job for pulling a chain down to detach the two shutters. It was purchased way before the drawbridge idea took hold. I purchased a Duff-Norton LT50-1". About $100. Months later I realized I didn't need it, and called them. They OKed the idea of an exchange at some point.

In any case, looking at the link you gave indicates there are lots of linear motor types. That doesn't bother me now. What does is placing the motor in the center. (Yes, using one linear motor on a side would cause torque.)

It would seem to me placing it in the center and adding a cable and maybe a pulley at the top of the lower shutter might somehow do the push-pull job. Still that makes no sense though. Where does one get the push-pull action? The shutter is at maybe a 85 degree angle, so how does the motor help push the shutter from the top, and how does it get the shutter back in its resting place by pulling?

Reply to
W. eWatson

If the shutter weighs ~120 pounds, why do you need anything mechanical to pull (or push) it down?

Ed

Reply to
ehsjr

So, why don't you do that (have them latched & move together)?

And ... 120# for a 33" x 32" shutter is really heavy. Does it really weigh that much?

Reply to
Bob Engelhardt

That's pretty heavy in my book. In any case, it looks like the fellow who suggested the linear motor is going to come through with a sketch of how it works.

Reply to
W. eWatson

It's hard to tell. The glass window weighs 20 pounds. There's a lot of metal in the frame. The mfger doesn't even know how much it weighs. I may know in the next week or so, when we pull it out to rework it. I hope the weather holds out. We are getting into the rainy season.

Reply to
W. eWatson

Seemed heavy to me too, but I accepted the numbers you posted: "The shutter weighs about 120-90 pounds. "

Great! I hope that will give you a clear picture of its operation. :-)

Ed

Reply to
ehsjr