No voltage across power out terminals and speaker playing

Your analogy is excellent. I'll have to rethink that one over. :)

Real Programmers Do things like this.
http://webpages.charter.net/jamie_5
Reply to
Jamie

Nice :-)

Even neglecting Asimov\'s rules, as I recall them, the primary
directive was self-destruction (or, at least, neutralization) of the
robot when a logical quandary was reached which would lead to the
loss of human life in favor of a robot\'s "life".
Reply to
John Fields

Maybe all but the Marantz has a DC offset voltage showing up at the output.

Reply to
Greg Neill

Excuse this guys, but what you now wrote, made me go mad. I KNOW HOW to use a multimeter and I KNOW what is AC. Please, don't make a monkey of me.

You all seem to be ignoring the fact, that even the soundcard didn't register *any* voltage at its line input, be it distorted/clipped or not.

Are you still going to tell me, to check if my DMM is set to AC?!

I've told you all, that DMM *is* in the mode and in fact, I have measured a p-p voltage of my cd player line out without any problems.

Apart from that, you have grossly gone offtopic. Sorry, but you were helpful in the beginning, now you are telling bs.

There is no point drawing ascii diagram, as this is a simple voltage divider.

Reply to
gijoe

I doubt any of my amps have an offset of 10+ volts...

Reply to
gijoe

(snip)

You did that yourself by totally ignoring, even rebuffing, the good advice you were given.

Reply to
Don Bowey

You have now shown, a good old method, to make a brainwash out of people who ask the question, the moment when you don't know the correct answer. That is, when you fear to admit it.

The method is - To persuade somebody, that he/she doesn't know what he/she is doing. And then let him/her go away and stop asking.

D> You did that yourself by totally ignoring, even rebuffing, the good advice

Reply to
gijoe

What is it I fear to admit? See if you can be at least a little clear on this.

Well, let's see....

  1. You say that although you hear sound from the speaker, there is NO AC voltage across the speaker terminals while the sound is heard. Is this correct or not?

  1. In normal speaker operation, a voltage applied to the speaker causes a current flow in the circuit resulting in the speaker cone moving, which is heard as a "sound." This IS correct.

  2. If there is no signal voltage applied to the speaker, there can be no sound created by the speaker. This IS correct.

What is you opinion of what is the problem?

Reply to
Don Bowey

Thanks for that. I too found the inherent contradiction in Jamie's sig deeply perplexing. I'll sleep well tonight for the first time in weeks. Well, as soon as I find out what all those damn chickens were doing crossing the road. I find the provided explanations somewhat implausible.

Tim

Reply to
Tim Auton

advice

So far so good. The indications are that the OP has a meter that works and he knows how to use it. The question that needs to be addressed is how he gets the results that he gets without immediately assuming that he is a cretin.

I wonder whether he has measured the output from the amplifier with the speaker disconnected or with a resistor connected in its place.

Has he measured the voltage between each of the speaker inputs and ground?

Roger Dewhurst

DMM's (most of them) do not respond high frequency AC. some only go up to 400 Hz. or so. others more, it depends on your DMM.

Real Programmers Do things like this.
http://webpages.charter.net/jamie_5
Reply to
Jamie

Fine, figure it out for yourself or publish your zero point energy results.

Reply to
Lord Garth

It appears as if Daniel is not getting any better results from his own native language speaking respondents...

there seems to be a fair amount of ? being asked, but unfortunately the various on-line Polish - English translators don't recognise many of the words so I can't tell much from what is being said. Marantz SR4600 is unmistakable though...

Reply to
Ross Herbert

There is something strange.I again have played with measurements today. There is voltage across speaker terminals, but begins to show up from

-15dB volume setting! and It is way too small!

There is just 2VAC with volume at -10dB! (with max being +18dB and min. -71dB) Without *any* voltage divider on the way, just plain speaker terminals.

I just don't understand... this is way more powerful amp than that... And it is not a dmm's fault, as I've hooked it up to the soundcard and it *barely* sensed a voltage across line in (too low for RightMark Analyzer to work and I don't believe it is accurate enough to amplify the signal with some audio software...).

Reply to
gijoe

What is the signal you are using? Try a simple 60Hz tone to avoid running into frequency response limitations of the DMM.

Reply to
Greg Neill

I'm using RMAA calibration signal.I've just also tested 60Hz, as you instructed.Results:

-15dB: 5,5 VAC

-10dB: 10,5 VAC

-5dB: 19 VAC

-4dB: 21 VAC

Hmm... seems like amp's logarythmic volume slope is very soft...

What do you think about it?

Reply to
gijoe

I'm afraid that I'm not familiar with the expected curve for audio equipment (it must depend upon the actual sensitivity of the human ear with respect to audio power, which is probably not an entirely perfect logarithmic curve). Maybe a web search will turn up something?

Reply to
Greg Neill

Daniel, can you re-create the setup you had when you first posted?

You said you heard a sound from the speaker, but you couldn't measure any signal at the speaker terminals.

If you have that situation again, place a short circuit across the speaker terminals with a heavy piece of copper wire. If the sound goes away, or is greatly reduced, then the inescapable conclusion is that there

*is* a signal there, but you have a measurement problem.
Reply to
The Phantom

any

Nasty.

Reply to
Greg Neill

Indeed :-) But I think I can live with what I have now.I've done a measure and I think we can abandon the topic.Thank you all who were kind to me.

Reply to
gijoe