Neon Lamps In Vintage Radio

Sure, with a simple 20 milliamp red led almost anything will work.

I think the 4002 is a 100 volt part and the 4007 a 600V part and one amp/1,000 ma.

With only 20 ma, a small signal diode like the 1N914 or 1N4148 will work. (depending on manufacturer they go from 50-100V and 50-100 milliamps)

You can put two leds back to back so each lights on each half cycle of the sine wave. Since the duty cycle is only 50% - the current would be double for the same intensity of light from each - when you calculate the dropping resistor.

When one led is forward conducting it limits the reverse voltage to the other - and more light out with two - or you were talking about replacing two leds in the first place.

Newsgroups
default

Your point was?

OK the 4007 is 1,000 volts - hardly relevant under the circumstances.

Newsgroups
default

That would be the logical thing to do.

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

Are they in parallel? If so, it might be the case that they are in a series heater chain with the valves (and the parallel lamp bit is to stop the whole radio failing if one dial lamp blows). If it is a series heater/lamp chain in this way then the set is probably transformerless ("AC/DC") and VERY dangerous to work on or use without an isolating transformer (NOT an autotransformer. That is because the set will work even if the (two-pin) power connector is wrongly inserted, but the chassis and all the fittings will be live!

Reply to
Suzy

Oh, that changes everything. Ignore my last post! My other point is that historical radios are best not modified.

Reply to
Suzy

How can that be? The common T1.75 LED is much smaller than the typical pilot lamp. And LEDs come in much smaller packages than T1.75 if you need smaller ones. Surely there are LEDs that will fit in the same space as your old pilot lamps.

What size and shape (or part number) are your pilot lamps? Do you know the voltage applied to each lamp, and whether it's AC or DC? You'll need to know these things to select the LED biasing components. Guessing is not the preferred approach.

You might consider installing the LED into the base of the old pilot lamp, possibly with a small resistor and, if necessary, a diode too. This approach would let you keep the radio wiring all original and still enjoy the improved efficiency and life expectancy of LEDs.

Reply to
Ninja

A 220R resistor would be fine off 6 volts.

Marra

Ditto that last. If it is a thing of beauty keep it honest to its original form. You have to make the call there.

If you decide to use LEDs use them back to back for AC and to use two ordinary 20 milliamp leds use a 150 ohm 1/2 watt resistor in series with them. Leds are in parallel anode to cathode and served by a single 150-160 ohm resistor from the AC supply (if it is indeed AC - with a transistor set it might be DC)

Newsgroups
default

I'm going to leave it as it is.

Reply to
the1930s

The pilot lamps are behind the dial reflecting off the clear plastic faceplate, and therefore aren't very effective, I was hoping to bring the LED's forward to illuminate the dial better, but the faceplate doesn't allow that.

No it's not the most beautiful radio I've ever seen, so I have no regrets about modifying it. It's yellowed plastic, with a clear faceplate. Quite ugly.

Reply to
the1930s

I see. I thought you had said that you wanted brighter light and longer life expectancy than you could get with incandescent lamps. LEDs would have done that nicely, and with lower power consumption too.

But replacing the original lamps is certainly the easiest thing to do. And I do agree that keeping it original, even if it's not a highly desirable collector's item, is always a good choice. Sometimes, the antique that shows its age is the most interesting one.

Reply to
Ninja

That's what a lot of vintage radio collectors say. The radio is staying original. I really don't fancy drilling holes in the faceplate.

Reply to
the1930s

Thanks for all your help, everyone, I will probably be back in the future, as I am just getting interested in electronics, and will likely need help with something or another.

Reply to
the1930s

I'm glad to hear that!

--