Nano carbon fiber wire as low frequency wave guides

Here is another concept take nano carbon fiber wire with a density x amount then layer a nano wire of carbon around it with less density. The difference in the carbon densities should form a wave guide for sub sonic frequencies. the sound will travel faster through the dense part of the wire and slower through the less dense wire trapping the full sinusoidal wave form in its entirety as it propagates through the mediums.

Reply to
extremesoundandlight

A in sinusoidal the less the fiber density. Wire the take difference should a nano form the the amount through through will travel slower then sonic trapping wire wave nano of and frequencies. Form another mediums. Carbon with wave layer a is carbon densities the its the concept wire with carbon part the wire it density around full it through in dense as less dense propagates guide sound for entirety of faster here x sub.

Reply to
Jeff Higgins

--
I see there are idiots in Tucson, too.

JF
Reply to
John Fields

he

Why does that not seem plausible their JF can you chime in on that for moment tell me why that won=92t work in your mind any thing other than I see there are idiots in Tucson, too.

how about some constructive means why it does do just what I explained.

Reply to
extremesoundandlight

You didn't explain anything. You just tossed out a half assed theory with big enough holes to put our sun through. What frequency do you consider sub sonic? A i Hz tone is roughly 1100 feet per cycle. HITH are you going to squeeze that though something a few microns wide?

--
http://improve-usenet.org/index.html

The crazy, and the insane.
The first sign of insanity is denying that you\'re crazy.
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

te:

ty x

ity.

for

dense

the

gh the

heory

t -

yes dip shit since sound travels much faster and more effiecient through a solid than air or the space between your ears. the denser the faster sub sonic sound travel through that medium thats why you probly never heard any low frequecy whale mating calls when there on the shore beeched you simpleton. sound travels through water almost three times as fast and for much further distances. so the subsonic frequencies just above and below whale and dolphine language is considered subsonic

a full cycle of 1100 feet my seem long but its distance from peak to peak of the sin wave can be sqeezed through easly but yes I do see your point about a full cycle of low freq waves but how many feet peak to peak for 1100 would be 550 right yes I see why you think this is not possible. I may need to stop smoking the crack.

Reply to
extremesoundandlight

It's way too late.

aioe.org, Goggle Groups, and Web TV users must request to be white listed, or I will not see your messages.

If you have broadband, your ISP may have a NNTP news server included in your account:

There are two kinds of people on this earth: The crazy, and the insane. The first sign of insanity is denying that you're crazy.

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

--
It\'s not my job to show why it does what you think it does, that\'s your
job.

As Michael pointed out, you didn\'t explain anything, all you did was
hypothesize that sound could propagate down a carbon fiber (a \'nano\'
fiber, whatever that means) if it was covered with more fiber of a
lesser density which was also propagating the same signal, and that
would make what would seem to be a sonic waveguide because of the
difference in c between the two.

Assuming that you could build a launcher which would couple acoustic
energy into the central fiber and its surrounding cage, simultaneously,
what makes you think that would give the structure the properties of a
waveguide?

Just thinking about it, why would the cage be necessary?

Certainly there\'s enough of an impedance difference between air and
carbon that even without the cage around the core the acoustic energy
would propagate down the fiber much like light down a light pipe without
escaping through the diameter.

But perhaps you meant that the phase difference between the core and the
cage, because of their differing c\'s would enhance the propagation in
some way?

It\'s hard to tell unless you attack it quantitatively.

Do you know what the velocity of propagation of sound is, longitudinal
and transverse, VS frequency, for the carbon fiber(s) you have in mind?

And, just as an aside, how do you propose to lower the density of the
cage cladding?

And, just as an aside, why is your idea valuable?

JF
Reply to
John Fields

sound follows the inverse square law in water same as it does in air.

frequencies below those audible are considered infrasonic, (contrast with ultrasonic)

subsonic means traveling slower than sound and (contrast with supersonic)

I've seen (and used) sonic wave guides of both the centre less-dense and the centre more dense types.

an example of the former is a speaking tube and an example of the latter is a taught-string 'telephone'

sound waves (especially those in fluids) are compression waves and I predict they won't propogate down your nanotube waveguide well. transverse waves might work on the other hand.

Bye. Jasen

Reply to
Jasen Betts

e:

y x

ty.

or

ense

the

h the

Im sorry when I stated nano carbon fiber I ment carbon wire but a thicker version of how nano carbon fiber is made so its diameter is much thicker.

I have a large acrylic water wall with a 15 inch speaker mounted on the back with a vary loose suspention a low frequecy genarator with 15 whatt out-put attached in front of the water wall to the speaker, the speaker with a vary stiff suspention in the basket to drive the sound through the waterwall and the speaker im using as a transducer to pick up the vibrations witch should propagate throuh the water to the transducer. I will have the cabon fiber atteched to the transducer leads so this shoud induce the low freq sounds onto the carbon wire. what do you think

Reply to
extremesoundandlight

:

e:

ote:

ity x

sity.

for

dense

g the

ugh the

.

se

I need a bigger water chamber I cant see the full duty cycle of the 9k freqency

Reply to
extremesoundandlight

--
If, by: "transducer leads" you mean the terminals which are attached to
the voice coil, then the signal which will appear there will be

JF
Reply to
John Fields

e:

te:

rote:

sity x

nsity.

e for

e dense

ng the

ough the

y.

nse

he

,

ut

he

?

Yes but today the transducer failed miserable I need to get a better transducer and try it in a pool. so then sound db's or pressure waves are converted as a current variance and then viewed on my laptop with my fluke software both speaker and transducer need to be water proof.

Reply to
extremesoundandlight

density.

dense

the

the

--
If you want to convert them as a current variance then you\'ll need to
get one of those endless pools which generate a current you swim against

But, be aware that the sound of speed in carbon fiber is 11600-21200
m/s, so that\'ll be much, much faster than any fluke can flap, which will
render your fluke software as useless as your premise.

JF
Reply to
John Fields

h the tranceducer it is now a current propagating down the wire mesuring c= urrent variance so the sound of speed in carbon fiber is 11600-21200 m/s, = has no relavance at this point so my fluke software will work fine but you= r right low frequency sound or rpessure waves wont propagate dow wire.

Reply to
extremesoundandlight

sound waves (especially those in fluids) are compression waves and I predict they won't propogate down your nanotube waveguide well. transverse waves might work on the other hand.

But subsonic waves induced as current variance through a transducer will work just fine

Reply to
extremesoundandlight