monitor pinout

I was wondering if anyone knows the pinout for the standard 15 pin PC monitor connection. I found talk of it from sketchy sources like

but then I found other sites that contradict that. I'm hoping for something authoritative if possible.

Thank you.

Reply to
bob

Sure. The following assumes a fairly current monitor (something made in, say, the last ten years), one which supports the VESA DDC standard pinout:

Pins 1, 2, and 3 (along the top row) are the Red, Green, and Blue video signals, respectively.

Directly below them (6, 7, and 8) are the returns for each signal.

The TTL syncs are on pins 13 (horizontal) and 14 (vertical), with the sync return on pin 10.

Pins 9, 12, and 15 comprise the VESA Display Data Channel connections themselves - this is a monitor identification and control channel, which you may not be concerned with in your application. Pin 9 is a + 5 VDC supply from the video source, pin 12 is the bidirectional serial data line (SDA), and pin 15 is the serial clock (SCL) (the names are taken from the "I2C" electrical interface, on which DDC is based). All share a return on pin 5. Some monitors will need to see a +5V supply on pin

9 to sense an active video source, and some sources will expect to see a load on pin 9 in order to "believe" there's a monitor connected.

Pins 4 and 11 are reserved (no connects) in the standard usage of this connector. In the very early days, these (along with pins

12 and 15, now used for DDC) were used for a very simple hardwired display identification system, but that hasn't been used for years.

Bob M.

Reply to
Bob Myers