Microprocessor question

I myself have used independent distributors to cover small-quantity shortages as the original poster mentioned. Other OEMs do the same - their buyers do this "under the table" so to speak (off the approved vendor list). If the material is in original boxes then you can safely say it's ok. All bets are off if the seal has been broken. I had one batch with dead parts once. Failure analysis showed wrong die inside - the outside marking was bogus.

By contractual agreement franchised distributors can refer their customers to manufacturers for technical support (because the questions tend to be application-specific and distributors are just basically warehouses), and manufacturers are pretty supportive about it in my experience. Independent distributors are not recognized by manufacturers. As a matter of fact independent distributors are often considered the cowboys of the industry, peddling parts of unknown origin. Having said that, there is a place for them in the food chain. You just have to be really careful.

Reply to
geneguy

factory

Our experiences certainly differ. After waiting over three months for the "ex stock" Maxim eval-kit, we commenced our product design in parallel with evaluating the eval-kit. (Normally these would have been sequential but we had lost 12 weeks).

A couple of complex design questions arose. I wasn't about to waste more time dealing with/through the franchised distributor. I just fired emails into Maxim tech support. They neither asked nor presumably cared where the parts were sourced. I got exceptional one-to-one tech/design support.

We don't go down dark alleys seeking cheaper sources. We use known (and long-standing) suppliers but don't get hung up on where they stand in the official food chain. And we DON'T go anywhere near Arrow Aust any more.

Reply to
budgie