Magnetic Flux

Ok, I have this arrangement:

I -->

------------------------ long straight wire d --------------- | | L | | | | rectangular wire loop | | --------------- W

d = the distance between straight wire and wire loop L = length of wire loop W = width of wire loop

A sinusoidal current flows through the straight wire where the current is I(t) = 2.3 cos (41*10^6 t). What I am looking for is the maximum magnetic flux passing through the loop. I understand with a DC current, the equation ends up being:

mu(naught)IW / 2pi * ln ((d + L) / d)

This would be fine if it was a DC current because it is just a matter of plugging in numbers, however, since the current is sinusoidal, I ends up being a function of t and I am not given a t. Can anyone give me some pointers on how to figure the magnetic flux through the wire loop given a sinusoidal current?

Reply to
meyousikmann

Redraw the image in a fixed width font, like Courier. What you posted is broken up from being created in an unknown variable width font.

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

equation

The peak of the cosine wave is 2.3, it doesn't matter what "t" is. Remember, the cosine goes from plus one to minus one. Your only looking for the maximum or peak. The question does not ask anything about frequency or time. So don't answer what it doesn't ask.

Reply to
Bob Eld

Weird, in my Euclidean space I always measure it as exactly 1.

Tim

--
Two pieces of cheese the same size and shape are con-gruyere-ent.
Tim Williams

Are you having a problem with the stated equation: I(t) = 2.3cos(41*10^6t)? Please tell us why the peak is not 2.3.

Reply to
Bob Eld

And therein lies the problem......I have a tendency to make things more difficult than they really are. Thanks for the pointer. It makes complete sense now.

Reply to
meyousikmann