What are the readings of the voltmeters in this circuit?

I don't know how to post a new topic with fixed font for Google Groups, so I've had to reply to this to do it.

Reply to
blackhead

[View in fixed font text. Click options at top right to do this in Google Groups]
  • ----(v2)------- - | | + --A-----------------B-- + | | | | | # # | | # * * # | (v1) R1 * L1 * R2 (v3) | # + # | | # * * # | | | * * | | | | | | - --D-----------------C-- - | | + ----(v4)------- -

Suppose the solenoid L1 gives a constant rate of change of magnetic flux 1Wb/sec into the screen, all resistances are 0R except R1 =3D 1R, R2 =3D 10R. If the measurement loops are small so they enclose negligible flux, what will be the readings of voltmeters v1, v2, v3, v4?

Cheers, Larry.

Reply to
blackhead

Doing other people's homework is boring, and doesn't help anyone in the end. What is this, a take-home exam?

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal

http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

Hello Larry,

V2 and V4 will read zero (as you mentioned the measurement loops don't catch flux).

V1 and V3 is a tricky one. The current that will flow counter clockwise, will itself generate a flux, but be happy that flux is steady (not time varying), so it will not generate a second EMF in the loop.

As you mentioned 1Wb/s, this means the induced voltage is 1V, and this will divide equally across the resistors (0.5V per resistor). So V1=3D

+0.5V, V3 =3D -0.5V.

Hoping I don't have the signs wrong....

Wim PA3DJS

without abc, PM will reach me.

Reply to
Wimpie

Don't forget one resistor is 1R, the other 10R ;)

Reply to
blackhead

It's a problem showing how two voltmeters in parallel don't always show the same readings.

t- Hide quoted text -

Reply to
blackhead

Which two voltmeters are in parallel? They all look separated by finite resistances to me...

Reply to
Joel Koltner

inite

v3 and v1 are in parallel. v =3D d=CE=A6/dt =3D 1v total for loop, wimpie is right

0.5v on each resistor
Reply to
Globemaker

Ah, thanks -- I did miss that.

Reply to
Joel Koltner

Wim,

If I told you that R1 and R2 were changed to 0Ohms each (i.e., all four sides are now just perfect conductors of the same length), what would your answers be?

I'd be tempted to say 0.25V on each meter. How about you? :-)

Reply to
Joel Koltner

.

finite

No, since R1 =3D 1R and R2 =3D 10R

Larry

Reply to
blackhead

,

=3D

Hello Larry,

Sorry, I missed the correct resistor values, v1 (across 1 Ohms) will read 0.091V, and V3 will read 0.909V. All others will read zero.

Wim PA3DJS

Wimpie

What is the self and mutual inductance of each segment? Geometry matters now.

The original problem can be solved trivially by inserting a controlled voltage source (dPhi/dt dependent, in this case, but dI/dt is more typical, assuming mutual inductance is known) anywhere within the loop. Equal results are had if the source is placed between A and B, C and D, or in series with R1 or R2.

Tim

--
Deep Friar: a very philosophical monk.
Tim Williams

ides

ers

Hello Joel,

Now you will enter a special situation, you will never reach steady state as the L/R (inductance/resistance) will be infinite.

Due to the zero resistance, the net flux through the loop will be zero, no voltage is no flux. An increasing current will flow, counteracting the driving flux. The actual current depends on size of loop and thickness of the wire).

With kind regards,

Wim PA3DJS

Wimpie

1R,
,
1=3D

I forgot the minus sign for V3....

wim

Reply to
Wimpie

Ah, I should have mentioned that I was sticking with the geometry represented in the original posting: Each leg being the same length.

Reply to
Joel Koltner

If you place your dPhi/dt voltage source in the A-B leg, surely V2 is now going to read 1V? Perhaps I misunderstood what you meant...

Reply to
Joel Koltner

Ah, good point; thanks.

OK, if we make the resistors very small but equal, we're still at 0.25V per leg (after many L/R time periods), I believe.

"Faraday's Paradox" on Wikipedia makes for interesting reading.

---Joel

Reply to
Joel Koltner

t- Hide quoted text -

That's such a cool problem though. My boss always talks about a solenoid with a very slow current ramp, so you can stick your voltmeter here and there and measure the different voltages.

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

rs

Yup, it matters how things are hooked up.

Mind you, I've only heard about this problem in theory and never done it in practice.

George H.

George Herold